Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
pttroe

Hook placement on a Nor-vise

Hello,

I received my Nor-vise last week, and I love it! I can see that it will take a little time to get used to it, but it is a lot of fun already.

I have only 1 problem, and that is I can't seem to get the hook centered. As soon as I close the cam lever the jaws seem to move just a little off center, creating a wobble on the hook. When I put the hook in with just the screw it is perfect.

Did anybody have the same experience? Is it something I do, and is there a solution? :help:

Thanx...

Hello,

I received my Nor-vise last week, and I love it! I can see that it will take a little time to get used to it, but it is a lot of fun already.

I have only 1 problem, and that is I can't seem to get the hook centered. As soon as I close the cam lever the jaws seem to move just a little off center, creating a wobble on the hook. When I put the hook in with just the screw it is perfect.

Did anybody have the same experience? Is it something I do, and is there a solution? :help:

Thanx...

What jaws are you using? The fine point jaws you need to adjust slightly with the bottom set screw when you close the cam to get it centered. The standard jaws can be a bit tricky, but it's finding just the right position of the set screw so that you can lock the hook in securely w/o too much tension. If you look at the hook head on, when you lock the hook in place, it will torque somewhat to the left or right because one side of the jaws is fixed (I think it's too the right). One thing is you can do is bend the hook back slightly but if you use the right tension you can center it pretty well for the most part.

If anything, ask Norm, I bet he can give you some pointers.

Thanks for the fast reaction. I sent a Norm a mail but he was out of office til monday.( probably out fishing? :rolleyes: )

I'm using the small in-line jaws, and I'll give the set screw a try.

greetz from sørumsand,

PT

For me, most of the adjustment comes from tilting the eye up or down to get the centerline rotation. I am still getting used to mine, but can't imagine putting dubbing on thread any other way now.

On a side note, I hope to visit Norway someday as some of my ancestory is from there. I recently made to the Vesterheim for the first time if you are aware of it.

Med vennlig hilsen!