Fly Tying
oatka

GFP Bobbin Hook

For a while I've been tossing around ideas in my head on how to make my own, cheaper, functional, version of Mitch's Bobbin Whirler. After reading richyrichtherich's post on his Paper Clip Bobbin Twirler I had renewed my thinking and after collaborating with a tying friend, I came up with the following.

I present to you, the GFP Bobbin Hook ! ! !

5008123818_2a27c12e2c_z.jpg

(Test fly tied in part by my 3 year old son)

Check out the Guys, Flies & Pies website for a full step by step with pictures!

I've never used Mitch's Bobbin Whirler but from what I can guess, this does everything his does without shelling out an additional $30 (Read "send Oatka $20 and you're still ahead of the game!)

A few points I've thought about while creating this tool.

• It's virtually free since the materials needed are likely already in your home
  • Unlike richyrichtherich's Paper Clip Bobbin Twirler and Marc Petijean's TT bobbin, this hook rotates around the bobbin allowing for easier application of the dubbing. Marc's and richyrichtherich's seem to have to use a rotary vise and rotate the fly for best application. The GFP Bobbin Hook allows for either moving the hook or the bobbin.
  • Mitch's hook shape is different, and there might be a good use for a longer hook, but I haven't done testing enough to determine that.

If you are unfamiliar with Mitch's Bobbin Whirler and the usefulness of a dubbing hook on the bobbin, the check out this

for more info.

neat but i'm willing to bet that the petitjean bobbin holder and richyrichtherich's will work with stationary vises also.

any testing done?

neat but i'm willing to bet that the petitjean bobbin holder and richyrichtherich's will work with stationary vises also.

any testing done?

Flytire - testing with the GFP Bobbin Hook has been done, but I don't own any of the other bobbins. The first version I tried was a small scud hook wrapped to the bobbin, but found that since it wasn't right at the tip of the bobbin, and didn't spin, it wrapped the thread around the bobbin.

From the testing of mine, I've determined that a rotating hook allows the thread to not get wrapped around the bobbin, if the bobbin is spun around the hook in a typical manor. That being said, I can guess that with richyrichtherich's, the rubber band holds the hook in place, and the thread may wrap around the bobbin....although this might be avoided if the hook is moved closer to the exit point of the main thread from the bobbin tube, which is accomplished by being able to slide the paper clip up and down. If the thread from the tube and from the hook are at the same point, it might not wrap on the bobbin tube. Hopefully richyrichtherich can chime in and give us his findings.

Marc's I do also believe works with a stationary vise, but in the research I did, I found in his video he uses the rotary function.....and in someone elses video he says something like "the only down side is you have to hold the bobbin at an angle....", but, yes, you are correct, both can use stationary, but I feel a rotating dubbing hook is best, then there's no need to angle the bobbin or slide the hook (likely requiring a second hand).

Of course I'm not at all trying to diminish any other bobbin, just trying to add my point of view and hopefully help some other people find a cheaper alternative. Marc Petijean clearly has the quick threader option that I can't for the life of me figure out an easy DIY way to get that.

Marc Petijean clearly has the quick threader option that I can't for the life of me figure out an easy DIY way to get that.

i have a petitjean bobbin holder and threading it isnt as easy as he shows in his video. you have to work on it and practice to do it as easy as he shows! :D ;)

does the hook on your bobbin holder move up & down the shaft like mitches does?

Yes. Even though I used quite a bit of pressure to wrap the paper clip, it still has enough room to move up and down the shaft. It can move down and out of the way, but then slide up when needed. The flare on the bobbin kinda traps it and makes it not spin while you do the initial spin up of the dubbing loop, but once you go to wrap it on the hook, it easily starts to rotate.

I haven't used it a ton yet, but I don't even think that it really gets in the way when it's up at the tip, but not being used.

Oatka, I made one per your guidelines, with one addition. Before I wrapped the clip on the shaft, I put a 1/4 inch piece of heat shrink on the shaft and slid it down out of the way. After attaching the clip and wrapping it around, I straightened out the hook end of the clip to slide up past the end of the tube. I then slid the heat shrink up over the wraps on the clip and heated it to form a glove over the wraps. It looks almost like a factory job and works oh so well. Thanks for the idea, it's a gem!

post-11211-1285097610_thumb.jpg

post-11211-1285097656_thumb.jpg

post-11211-1285097707_thumb.jpg

How do you use this nifty little device? Do you wind up dubbing in to the string comming out of the bobbin? I can't go watch the video on YouTube cause it is blocked here at work. Can you describe it's use?

lykos33 - Great Job! I like that look, and I'm sure it helps protect from accidentally cutting the thread with the end of the paperclip....at least that end of it.

How do you use this nifty little device? Do you wind up dubbing in to the string comming out of the bobbin? I can't go watch the video on YouTube cause it is blocked here at work. Can you describe it's use?

Bryan - are you familiar with a "dubbing loop"??? If so, what this does is allows you to use the bobbin as the dubbing loop twister, instead of an additional twisting tool. By having just 1 tool hanging you don't have the issue of the bobbin getting in the way while you make and apply the loop.

Here's a picture of a dubbing loop being created with a dubbing twister (2nd tool), notice how 2 tools are there, and the bobbin will be in the way when winding the dubbing loop.

dhcStep06.JPG

Here's another image, showing the bobbin being held out of the way (presumably so the loop can be wrapped around the hook at this point).

crazydad6.jpg

Now, let's go back to my original image, and you'll see how once the dubbing loop is created, it's all on the bobbin, so when winding the loop onto the hook you do not have 2 tools bumping into each other. Plus, a traditional dubbing loop has 2 strands of thread holding the dubbing in, this method has 3 strands....and therefor it could be argued that this is a stronger and more durable loop and fly.

5008123818_2a27c12e2c_z.jpg

I hope that explanation helps.

Marc Petijean clearly has the quick threader option that I can't for the life of me figure out an easy DIY way to get that.

i have a petitjean bobbin holder and threading it isnt as easy as he shows in his video. you have to work on it and practice to do it as easy as he shows! :D ;)

Flytire,

How do you like the Marc Petijean? It looks interesting and well made. Would you buy it again?

Thanks

It is great to see so many of us are contributing to the development of this idea. My first attempt has been working well for me however, the non-rotating paper clip does cause some problems. Even though my first attempt is not perfect, the creativity it has inspired in my tying methods has been worth a few tangles.

I like oatka's idea for solving the rotating problem and the simplicity is great.

Having the 'd' shape at the tip of the paper-clip on my attempt does make a difference, so when I get around to my next design I will definitely be combining all these ideas.

All the best,

Rich.