Fly Tying
Bryan Wright

Dog hair dubbing

I have seen a few people mention dog hair as a viable dubbing material. Is this really something you can use? And if so has anyone ever thought of going to a dog groomer and asking for there waste hair?

I use my Golden Retrievers underfur and guard hairs for a golden stone buggy nymph..

He is a real dark golden colour that looks great when wet

This fly was made from my GSD Fischer for a memorial fly

IMGP0005.jpg

Fischer

IMGP0014.jpg

I know I for one have mentioned and do use dog fur for both dubbing, and streamer wings. My friend's collies supply me with all I need. Collie hair is long and soft, and the under fur is a great nymph dubbing. Almost any dog with soft under fur, could be used in some way. I have come chocolate lab, but the fur/hair is pretty coarse. I have been able to dubb in by twisting it in a loop of thread, and wrapping it on that way. Makes an interesting wooly worm with out using any hackle. This stone fly nymph used collie fur for dubbing.

post-12074-1285020429_thumb.jpg

Just comb out the shepherd (the neck under fur will the softest you will find on any dog.) This dog hair blended with wool yarn in different colors will make great nymph blends.

post-569-1285105152_thumb.jpgYou bet, the trick is to separate the guard hairs from the underfur. With two 'Yellow" labs, I am alsways in supply.

Don't forget to name your fly after your pet in their honor. A nice treat of a taste of trout would be nice too. The fish oil is good for their fur and the cycle continues.

post-569-1285105152_thumb.jpg

I tried to get some chinchilla dubbing when i was baby sitting my sisters chinchilla. A chinchilla has crazy soft fur so I was thinking It would be great but that thing would not stay still so I couldn't get a chance to comb some fur out, maybe I'll try again.

I'll occasionally just pull a dog in off the street and shave him down just to get the dubbing.

Seriously we have a hair brush for the dogs called the 'furminator' and it does a great job, basically its a dubbing rake for your dog, the side benefit is less hair around the house.

I realize this is an older thread, but I have used my Dachshunds hair for creating buggy legs. They have no underfur to speak of so I use the the spikey hairs. I actually used my wifes hair last night and cut it to 1/2" lengths and blended it with some wing 'n flash to make a pretty nice looking scud. She is a redhead so it yields a nice shrimpy orange colored scud. She was impressed.

I realize this is an older thread, but I have used my Dachshunds hair for creating buggy legs. They have no underfur to speak of so I use the the spikey hairs. I actually used my wifes hair last night and cut it to 1/2" lengths and blended it with some wing 'n flash to make a pretty nice looking scud. She is a redhead so it yields a nice shrimpy orange colored scud. She was impressed.

Human hair who would have thought.

I have been using my cats hair for dubbing, which is primarily gray and some brown and black thicker hairs mixed in lightly. My friend has a cat that produces a nice light carmel color which i am saving for a good pattern, maybe for blue gill and crappie in the spring. One time a lady was brushing her dog and i waited until she went inside and than i went out and collected the fir on the grass, tons of it, made a great dubbing for loops. It was long, course but static like, keeping what i have left for a good fly. I need more friends with pets <_<