Fly Tying
Bryan Wright

Dog hair dubbing

Most of the stuff that comes from China is dog hair!!!! They even have Temple dog hair that they sell as dog hair :rolleyes:

i just had to lay my mutt Bondo down for the last time. I did give her a good brushing before heading in and after her last breath i snipped some tail hair.

I tied a fly that night and it will be framed with my wifes favorite picture of Bondo.

May she run without pain again. we will miss her.

Don

post-16469-1289687261_thumb.jpg

I have a norfolk terrier cross who has the typical terrier double coat. this dog absolutely loves being groomed. summer time he gets shaved down to help him in the heat, come winter....his fur is a reddish brown color.

marc

Don, sorry to hear about your dog. I have had to do that too many times and it always sucks. At least this time you have a mento and you will never forget him.

Don:

Sorry for your loss. It is one of the hardest things I have had to do. I am never at a loss of fur around the house. Lab fur is similar to deer hair in that it is hollow too. That's one of the ways they stay warm in frigid water. All I have to do is sweep the wood floors and I have tailing and dubbing. I tie and use a lot of "Haystacks" so it is perfect for that fly.

My dog Millie:

She lived for the water, like most Labradors do. From dawn to dusk it was either the lake to cool her body, a stream to play in, or just a mud puddle to sooth her aching paws. She stayed wet the entire summer and her fur and our camp sofa smelled of mildew. Her damp head was barely worthy of a pat or a scratch on the belly, but she always got one.

She only swam during the day. At night she would just sit out on our dock looking over the water. Perhaps she was thinking of all the dogs who had gone before her.

post-569-1290090989_thumb.jpg

Abbie and Sissie (direct descendents of Millie). Of course they are not allowed on the bed, but no one was looking:).

I'm a cat hair man, myself. Their underfur is very fine and soft and easy to work with but gray seems by far the most common color.

I had an acquaintance who works with big cats offer to give me all the Bengal Tiger fur I wanted for fly tying.... OH so tempting but no way I am going to risk running into some a-hole who would make a big deal of it and I'd go to jail. It just wouldn't be any fun to use if I couldn't talk about what it is ???

I actually used my wifes hair last night and cut it to 1/2" lengths and blended it with some wing 'n flash to make a pretty nice looking scud. She is a redhead so it yields a nice shrimpy orange colored scud. She was impressed.

In my world, it would be easier to get some WILD tiger fur than it would be to get some of my wife's hair for tying... I know, I've tried... It didn't go well.

As an avid fly tier and even bigger dog lover this is the best thing I've read in a while! What better way to keep mans best friend with you when you can't take them with you to the river. Really like the comment of naming the fly after your dog in his/her honor and more important in his/her memory. Thanks to all that posted! You guys rock! P.S. Whiskers make awesome tailing stock on a dry fly.