Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chase-the-Yough-fisher

BASS POPPER

For a first attempt it isnt bad. The tail looks good and the hackle turned out fine. Personally I am not a big fan of using things like nerf darts for foam or dog hair for dubbing. With nerf foam you are limited to either yellow or orange color wise. Some legs would make it better in my opinion but they arent a must. I cant tell from the photo but it appears as those the foam is way far past the eye of the hook. It so, like I said I cant tell, this may cause some problems with it. Try using other cheap materials for poppers. You can make poppers out of balsa wood using a pencil sharpener. The balsa wood is cheap at Michaels or AC Moore. You can also get foam there as well. If you cut the foam out into discs and then glue them to the hook they turn out to make a decent popper. Last J Stockard has popper kits for some thing like 4.75 for either 10 or 12 bodies plus hooks. All you would need then is paint and the feathers. Just some things to think about.

My first bass popper, made out of a nerf dart, little bit of deer hair, and some dog hair dubbing.

Can someone give me some critisizm please.

post-28616-1285034970_thumb.jpgpost-28616-1285034989_thumb.jpg

Try to pick up some straight shank hooks and superglue and remember old flipflops .. :headbang:

My first bass popper, made out of a nerf dart, little bit of deer hair, and some dog hair dubbing.

Can someone give me some critisizm please.

post-28616-1285034970_thumb.jpgpost-28616-1285034989_thumb.jpg

Try to pick up some straight shank hooks and superglue and remember old flipflops .. :headbang:

ok i actually found a flipflop and super glue i now just need the straight shanks

Good work Chase!! Give YOU TUBE a look when

you have some time, they have quite a few poppers

made out of differnt things, I think some of the guys

from this fourm have put stuff on there,anyway there

is some great learning on all types of fly tieing. You have good

videos on this fourm also. It helps when you see it done.

Keep on showing your work, the people here are glad to help

Henry F.

Good work Chase!! Give YOU TUBE a look when

you have some time, they have quite a few poppers

made out of differnt things, I think some of the guys

from this fourm have put stuff on there,anyway there

is some great learning on all types of fly tieing. You have good

videos on this fourm also. It helps when you see it done.

Keep on showing your work, the people here are glad to help

Henry F.

alright im looking now.

thanks

dear chase,

when I was in middle school about (12 years ago),we made bass poppers out of fancy pencils you now the kind that are glittery or shiny metallic or,

you can paint regular pencils with enamel paint or nail polish.cut hook length pieces like 5/0 2xl streamer hook size, drill a hole (with a drill press

please),off center of the pencil lead.the hole must be the size of the hooks eye so that you may slide and glue pencil blank on and or accomadate tail

(marabou etc.) I think I got the idea from Field and Stream.

post-28940-1287025914_thumb.jpg :blink:

ike

dear chase,

when I was in middle school about (12 years ago),we made bass poppers out of fancy pencils you now the kind that are glittery or shiny metallic or,

you can paint regular pencils with enamel paint or nail polish.cut hook length pieces like 5/0 2xl streamer hook size, drill a hole (with a drill press

please),off center of the pencil lead.the hole must be the size of the hooks eye so that you may slide and glue pencil blank on and or accomadate tail

(marabou etc.) I think I got the idea from Field and Stream.

post-28940-1287025914_thumb.jpg :blink:

ike

That would called a pencil popper. I like. :D :D