Fly Tying
popping_parrish

Fishing in the rain.

I was just wondering if anyone has much luck in the rain. and if you do what type of patterns do you use. Smallies, Carp, Trout. Etc. And does anyone like a small drizzle. Sometimes i have much more luck in a small drizzle.

I fished this past Tuesday with some pretty good success. I was using a larger popper with a cupped face. It made a lot of noise and I was able to call them up to the top so to speak

I like fishing in the rain simply because most people do not. The worse the weather is, the better your odds of having the water to yourself. Obviously use some common sense if you're in flash flood territory...

I used to love to bass fish in the rain. Always seemed to have really good luck in any kind of shower. I did learn ,however, that fishing rods and lightning don't go together. My buddy and I were wade fishing below the dam on the Hillsborough River in Tampa, just pulling the bass in one after the other. It started to rain and every one else decided to sit it out...except the two of us. We could see lightning in the distance and hear thunder quite often. We were still pulling them in so we just kept at it. I noticed that my rod was vibrating , kinda like a low level hum. I looked at my buddy and he was wide eyed looking at me. "What the heck is going on here?' I asked him. "Get rid of the rod , throw it !" he yelled at me. We both slung our rods as far up the hill as we could and a few seconds later "BLAM", lightning struck the bank. God must have been looking out for this fool, cuz all I felt was a little tingle in my extremities. We decided to sit the storm out then. Kevin went and found his rod and boogied back to the truck,all I ever found of my rod and reel was a melted side plate off my Diawa baitcaster. Needless to say, at the first sound of thunder or hint of lightning, I give it up now...

I like to use slider patterns and foam poppers they seem to do reel well. Its been raining for almost a week straight here. but today the sun is shinning and thier is clear skys and i cant wait to go out this afternoon. Sounds like you are a lucky man i dont know if a smallie is worth a lightning strike though lol. Shows how the diawa baitcaster holds up to harsh weather

I used to love to bass fish in the rain. Always seemed to have really good luck in any kind of shower. I did learn ,however, that fishing rods and lightning don't go together. My buddy and I were wade fishing below the dam on the Hillsborough River in Tampa, just pulling the bass in one after the other. It started to rain and every one else decided to sit it out...except the two of us. We could see lightning in the distance and hear thunder quite often. We were still pulling them in so we just kept at it. I noticed that my rod was vibrating , kinda like a low level hum. I looked at my buddy and he was wide eyed looking at me. "What the heck is going on here?' I asked him. "Get rid of the rod , throw it !" he yelled at me. We both slung our rods as far up the hill as we could and a few seconds later "BLAM", lightning struck the bank. God must have been looking out for this fool, cuz all I felt was a little tingle in my extremities. We decided to sit the storm out then. Kevin went and found his rod and boogied back to the truck,all I ever found of my rod and reel was a melted side plate off my Diawa baitcaster. Needless to say, at the first sound of thunder or hint of lightning, I give it up now...

WOW! glad you made it. I give up with thunder and lightning too. Just this summer, all was calm, light rain, strung up the rod, got to the water and BAM. thunder. packed it up and went home.

On the other hand, i'll fish in the rain, can be good fishing. things get in the water from rain, that can start some fish feeding.

I've had some of my best fishing ever in the rain. I've also been hypothermic, fell ten feet down a muddy bank, slipped off a log into the creek, and nearly stranded/capsized in my canoe, in the rain. (not all at once...)

A nice steady, calm rainy day can be the best, but storms are something completely different.

Years ago I went on a walleye charter out on Lake Erie and a storm came up. The fishing improved. We were high and dry under the top on the charter boat and all was fine until some guy down the bench made a cast and his lure hit the water, but his mono stayed up in the air. He started screaming and the boat captain ran back to investigate. The captain looked at his line, his rod, and then ran forward to get on the PA. He ordered everyone with a graphite rod to reel in and put the rod away. Someone asked why and he said because they are a natural lightening rod. You could almost smell the smoke from the reels as lines were reeled in and rods put away. A memorable experience.