Fly Tying
popping_parrish

Need a pattern for cooler weather for smallies

Well i live up here in wv and the weather is a bit on the cooler side lately. I love fishing for smallies. Ive been to the river in the past few days and cant seem to hook up. Poppers and sliders are not affecting the fish anymore. I ve tried white and black buggers lol and some green midge patterns still no luck. :wallbash: Lots of fall fish and sunfish but no smallies in the warmer weather i frailed smallies but now since it turned cold no luck. what patterns do i need or what am i doing wrong. also i really want to catch a carp before times up tried lots of patterns crayfish and such but no luck. thanks for any advice.

colder weather brings a transitional time for smallies...look for deeper pools, as the temps drop they are going to be searching out their wintering holes....still fish the heads of pools, the tails of foods, as they are always good feeding grounds...slower presentations.....deeper presentations....try a sink line....the fall is a time when the baitfish are a little bigger...my best fish come from a little bigger minnow imitations, 3-4 inches, half and halfs work well....you can still bottom bounce a crayfish imitation this time of year....afternoon fishing is where it's at for the best action, the sun is at it's highest point and the water starts to warm back up a little, no need to get out early in the fall....hope that helps....

I'm in SE Ohio, fished yesterday for about 45 minutes in the lower stretches of a stream that has smallies. I landed one small bronzeback on a #6 yellow/white Clouser fished in a deep run and lost a really nice fish (for this stream) on a #6 craw pattern I tied. That fly is simple: cut foam claws from craft foam and either thread them on some heavy mono or rubber skirt material, tie those in near the bend, 2 strands of dark skirt material for antennae, ice chenille body, shellback of your choice, weighted with a set of heavy dumbbell eyes. With the weight at the head and the foam claws, it stands up well and rides hook point up.