Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Mickalo

Removing Guard Hairs

I just got a beautiful Muskrat pelt and want to separate the guard hairs from the underfur. The underfur does make some great dubbing, but I'm trying to come up with way to remove the guard hairs without all the underfur with it for a couple of patterns I found using muskrat, i.e. Casual Dress nymph.

Anyone have any tricks or tips on the best way to remove the guard hairs from a pelt without loosing allot of it and without allot of the underfur with it ? Been doing by hand right now, pulling a pinch of guard hairs from the fur then putting in a small hair stacker, ... must be an easier & faster way :wallbash:

Thanks,

Mike

Just an idea, but what about using a lice comb to remove the underfur and thereby leaving the guard hairs? I don't no if it would work or not but it might.

This may not give you the exact answer you desire, but is somewhat relevant nonetheless. Muskrat Dubbing

I've used a real fine comb I had laying around, actual my daughters, that I've used which seems to work pretty good. Just gotta try and gather as much of the guard hairs without loosing them in the underfur :)

Thanks for the dubbing link. I have a ton of muskrat!

I see if your from Iowa too. If your into using natural materials dubbing there's is a gentleman in Manchester, IA., Coffins Creek furs, where I get most all my skins from. Great guy to do business with :)

Thanks,

Mike

I've used a real fine comb I had laying around, actual my daughters, that I've used which seems to work pretty good. Just gotta try and gather as much of the guard hairs without loosing them in the underfur :)

Thanks for the dubbing link. I have a ton of muskrat!

I see if your from Iowa too. If your into using natural materials dubbing there's is a gentleman in Manchester, IA., Coffins Creek furs, where I get most all my skins from. Great guy to do business with :)

Thanks,

Mike

Thanks for the heads up. I fish Backbone frequently. Next time I over that way I'll have to stop in.

You may want to look into getting a dubbin rake. I use one on my hare's masks to get at the dubbing while leaving longer hair for tails etc. My muskrat is only the small 2"x3" patch kind. I think if the rake works on the hare's mask it would work on the muskrat too

You may want to look into getting a dubbin rake. I use one on my hare's masks to get at the dubbing while leaving longer hair for tails etc. My muskrat is only the small 2"x3" patch kind. I think if the rake works on the hare's mask it would work on the muskrat too

Yep the rake seems to work pretty well, better then some other ways I've been attempting to do it.

Thanks,

Mike