Fly Tying
sniksoh

largemouth rods

There are those who will say to match the rod/line to the flies and conditions you will be fishing and there are others who prefer to match the rod to the fish. There are no wrong answers, as it really comes down to personal preference, but I prefer to straddle the two ends.

Personally speaking, if all I was going to do is target big bass with big flies on mats or timber, I might consider a 10 weight. But I generally find myself fishing in all kinds of conditions, and since I fish out of a kayak, I typically only have one rod with me, which is a 9' 7 wt. rod lined with an 8 wt. weight-forward bass bug-tapered floating line. Sure, I have several heavier, more powerful rods in my arsenal but I've settled on this rod as the best overall compromise that still allows me to throw weighted flies up to 5"-long but yet also still allows a nice fish to show off a little and put a decent bend in the rod.

If I only had a 9' 5/6 wt. rod in my arsenal, there's no question that I would next purchase either a 7 or 8 wt. rod. I too think you would be disappointed if all you end up with are one 5/6 wt. rod and one 10 wt. rod, as I think you would find a 7 or 8 wt. rod far more versatile and enjoyable.

Just my 2 cents. . . .

-- Mike

I fish out of kayak as much as I can and usually have 3 flyrods with me. A 3wt, 6or7wt for smaller flies and 10wt. Which will cover the broad sprectum for the day. Matching the bait that bass want it on a given day is key. As for leaders I like one piece leaders as knoted leader will catch and hang on just about everything imaginable. Shorter leaders on heavier rods and bigger flies while I will go long on smaller stuff. Finf your niche that you feel works for you and go that way as everyone is different.

Its funny and good how many choices and how technical things have gotten today. My first flyrod back in the 70's was a thick butted yellow fiberglass job I think my dad got me from Sears & Robuck Co. don't even know what weight it was. I would cast #10 bream bugs for bluegill and #2 poppers for bass on that thing. It finally broke after years and years and I saved and bought a Fenwick Eagle graphite 7wt. again, I used it to fish for bream, bass, and later, in the early eighties, redfish in the marsh. Now, my rod arsenal contains a number of rods and it is sometimes hard to decide what rods to bring. Although that is how it used to be, it wasn't better, I wouldn't trade my 4wt bream rod or my 7 & 9wt rods that I use for redfish and the 5 wt I mostly use for marsh bass. Funny but good.

Kirk

A long rod will help with pulling fish. Im acctually looking at a 10 ft. You need a good fast 6wt or 7wt. the length of the sage rod is so it will fit in to tournament specs. Otherwise it has no real purpose

a long rod actually works against you for pulling fish, the longer the rod the more leverage the fish has, the reel end is the fulcrum

I'm using the TFO Clouser Series rod and I love it. I'm fishing a 7wt, but I'm sure all of the rods in this series are great. Its a 8'9" rod that is generally slower in the middle with a faster tip. it handles both big poppers and full sink lines with ease.

If you want a "one rod do it all" than by a medium fast or fast 7wt and line it with an 8wt clouser or bass line and go fish. I have several other line wieght rods, but the one that stays rigged up in my car for warm water fishing in my parts is my 7wt.

I have a sage LM it is nice, but I found it to be too short keep fish out of the weeds and/or on top of them. I also fish alot of bearmed lakes so the short rod length works against me.

I soon switched to a helios 10wt, much nicer rod for the job but it isn't part of everyones budget... But it would take this rod hands down to any other I own. I have since bought another in a 8wt.