Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
chase-the-Yough-fisher

Home-made trout stream

I have an idea, its proboably crazy but i think it would be very rewarding.

i want to replicate a small stream, about 8" deep 1'6"-2'6" wide that runs from the top of my property to the bottom. it would have a coupple curves, small drops, and a very small pool at the top and bottom.

at the bottom it would have a water pump that has a burried hose leading back to the top, with a filter in between.

if it couldnt contain trout i could sacrifice that for creek chub.

i was wondering the forums thoughts and if i would need a permit or anything.

i proboably wouldnt fish it that much, for the sake of the fish

Guest Big E

I would think that a 14 yo that can't afford to buy fly tying material/equipment would have a difficult time building a creek worthy of sustaining fish.....

just saying

I say do it! It could work! *

To answer your question about needing a permit, the answer is yes. I offer those permits for $1000 and it covers everything needed! **

I once saw a small decorative backyard pond in california that had trout and bass. ***

* this statement is not entirely true or accurate and do not represent the opinions of Oatka or FTF.

** "everything" includes nothing, but send the money anyway!

*** This statement is actually true, if I remember it correctly, it was almost 20 years ago.

Dont wanna be mean but yeah what Big E said.

yeh i understand i dont have a budget but i can work hard, and im pretty good at repairing things, so i could proboably get a pump for free, i have tons of rocks at my house to use, some tarps, and other things.

so the very least i can do is try. its better than watching tv all day, like other people my age.

I say do it! It could work! *

To answer your question about needing a permit, the answer is yes. I offer those permits for $1000 and it covers everything needed! **

I once saw a small decorative backyard pond in california that had trout and bass. ***

* this statement is not entirely true or accurate and do not represent the opinions of Oatka or FTF.

** "everything" includes nothing, but send the money anyway!

*** This statement is actually true, if I remember it correctly, it was almost 20 years ago.

wait so this means i dont need a permit since theirs two stars.

On something that small a scale, I doubt you would need a permit.

I'd say go ahead, it sounds like it might be an interesting project. But I wouldn't try putting trout or bass in it, that is where you could maybe cross a legal line.

Goldfish would be fine though ;)

Koi are fun to catch on a flyrod

Bread fly!

Keep this in mind a creek 8' x 2.5" is probably flowing 20 to 25 gallons a min. Maybe even more. Thats one heck of a pump!

A guy i use to build Vettes for has something about this scale in his back yard. The filtration system it requires costs several hundred dollars to completely go through 2 times a year and i would guess close to a hundred a month for the chemicals and charcoal it takes. Now add about another $200 per month for the electricity to run the pump and filtration that doesn't even begin to compare to about twenty thousand dollars it cost to buy and install that system. His "stream" only runs about 50' to a large pond and a couple of water-falls in it. Some of the koi in that pond are worth enough put you through college...

It takes a lot to keep something of that scale going. You should have heard the fights he has had with different animals and birds going after his fish...i thought he was seriously going to shoot an eagle that found it. My fake rattle-snakes ended that birds hunting perch though...the real snakes are still a problem though.

I could have died laughing when he brought me a snapping turtle he bought for the pond...he didn't know before hand what those guys eat.

Added;

!st thing is go to the library and read up on what is needed to build a stream or pond. No sense wasting time, money, and materials on what others have already learned lessons on. You need to concentrate on laying out a completely water tight base of some sort (rubber, plastic, fiberglass, cement, or similar), then finding CLEAN gravel and/or sand substrate to keep from getting the water too clogged with sediments that will prevent oxygen carrying or harm the fishes gills. The amount of O2 in suspension is directly related to amount and method of flowing the water. A modified sprinkler type fountain at the start will VASTLY improve the O2 content but might take better filtration to keep from getting clogged...These are the type of things you need to read-up on. There might be good sources on the net...i haven't looked.

With heart, determination, and some luck you could do this project for next to nothing, plus some hard, hard work. Be sure to check with your local zoning officer to make sure you stay legal with local codes. Check with the local fish commission/governing agency to see what fish you can use, and what you cannot. They can also help with pond info, which will be helpful.

I know here in Pa. I can buy trout and stock them in my pond/ or on my property without permits. If I want to stock a public stream it gets complicated.

I would encourage you to get away from the tv, and do anything outdoorsy.......it is these trial and error projects that will help round you out as an adult. Pick up a wrench and work on a lawn mower or two, tear apart your bicycle and rebuild it, take apart a radio to see how it works (a broken one, not dad's good one......lol). Just have fun; you will be surprised how much of this youthful fun will be experience gained as an adult.

ghostdncr;

VERY WELL SAID!!! This young man needs all the support he can get! To denigrate him is an injustice to him. He could be pushing dope!! Me thinks someone may be suffering from a very severe case of rectoencephaly.

perchjerker