Fly Tying
Bryan Wright

Best price on hooks

You might want to check out hooks on eBay. There is at least one dealer (fly5001) selling Mustad hooks by the 100s: starting at $4.95 for drys and wets, $5.95 for streamers.

If you focus on just buying a few styles, ... (e.g. one dry fly hook style and one wet hook style)

Now THAT is funny!! :clapping:

just like EVERYTHING else in fly fishing, we've been told so many times, until we believe it, that our hooks are no good unless they come from a jewelry boutique. Now it has come full circle, a majority of us bought into it, and the hook makers reacted by raising prices and "quality", and packaging retail hooks in baggies of 25. Many of us who have been tying for a LOOOOONG time lose sight of the dude just starting out, or the kid with very little money to spend. Six bucks for 25 hooks IS expensive. I like to tie on nice hooks too, don't get me wrong, but the 12 inch trout doesn't care if whatever fly is tied on a 1965 Mustad, or a 2011 gama-go-dik-hu.

Sadly, like $700 waders, $1000 rods, and $100 fly lines, this crap probably makes some folks feel as if they are unable to take up fly fishing effectively.

Bingo!!! As one who's been tying for almost 30 years and currently has hooks in well over 100 styles and sizes, I couldn't have said it any better!!

Bowfin47

When you think about hooks, and especially wet fly and nymph hooks, just how often do you loose them? I know when I fish nymphs, I fish them right on the bottom, and I loose plenty to the rocks, and roots. It seems like I go throught more of these hooks than anything else. I am always looking for good inexpensive hooks.

If a good house brand hook will get the job done, fine. At $6.95 a pack, these Do-whosie hooks are more that twice the price. Not what I am looking for.

As for high priced rods, I totally agree with JS, this sport doesn't need to be that expensive. I have several rods that I purchased for less than $100, and a couple that I built from top of the line blanks. They all get the fly out there, and they all catch fish just fine.

Where is the best place to buy hooks? I want to tie on barbless hooks but don't want to buy them in tiny packs that I pay a ton of money for. I would rather pay 20 bucks get a good assortment with a good range in sizes (I don't need gigantic hooks) and a good number in the pack.

I Buy mine from Lurecraft.com they have a handful of different hook styles and they run about on average $4 per 100 hooks :bugeyes: sounds like the best deal for your money to me.