Fly Tying
JohnP

Grouse and orange

Here's an attempt at a soft hackle to tempt a steelhead:

post-20675-1288155581_thumb.jpg

John,

A great fly, and an underutilized style for steelhead in my opinion. I have used the same spider style and color for October caddis with good results. Nice job.

John,

A great fly, and an underutilized style for steelhead in my opinion. I have used the same spider style and color for October caddis with good results. Nice job.

Thanks for the kind words. I was fishing the GR recently and watching these big October caddis flying around and I wished I had some of these to try. Have you had any luck with steelhead this fall?

Unfortunately, I haven't even gotten a chance to get out yet. With 3 kids in fall sports, deer season, and elk season I've had no time to wet a line. Catching is going good on the GR though, I have some friends that have been doing fairly well.

John,

Thanks for the kind words. I was fishing the GR recently and watching these big October caddis flying around and I wished I had some of these to try. Have you had any luck with steelhead this fall?

Hi JohnP;

Nice tie, what size hook is that?

Wayneb

Thank you. It is a Mustad 36890, #8.

Handsome fly, John. I'd swing that with confidence and a firm grip. I've had great luck with steelhead using orange flies.

Thanks for the kind words. I consider yourself and Old Hat to be the masters of the soft hackle, so praise from the both of you is praise indeed.

what part of Idaho are you from?

I live in Lewiston.

Great looking soft hackle ! To echo what others have said here this style of fly is way under utilized ! Thanks for posting it!!

Great looking soft hackle ! To echo what others have said here this style of fly is way under utilized ! Thanks for posting it!!

Thank you for the kind words. :)

Nicely tied. On the D I have had success with an October Caddis softhackle of orange fuzzy nylon with a cream over-sized hackle on a Partridge Wilson hook in sizes 4 and 6. Hard to beat an October Caddis imitation in Sept/Oct.

Nicely tied. On the D I have had success with an October Caddis softhackle of orange fuzzy nylon with a cream over-sized hackle on a Partridge Wilson hook in sizes 4 and 6. Hard to beat an October Caddis imitation in Sept/Oct.

Sounds like a great pattern. Can you post a pic?