Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Trimming deer bodies

Ever have a problem trimming deer hair? Tried the scissors and does the job, but not as neat as you like. First, gotta make sure the deer/elk/moose/??? is packed tight. Tighter the hair is packed, the easier it is to cut. When it comes to cutting hair, I prefer to use the old fashioned double blade shaving razor blades. You can buy them still at most Walmarts and other stores. Usually Schick makes them. They're made to cut the hair off your face efficiently, even better to trim a hair body fly with. Make sure you have the angle you want to trim, and just work the blade down the body. Sometimes it helps if you do a sort of sawing motion. Back and forth as you work your way down. Once you have it trimmed to shape, you can use a pair of scissors for any fine detailing (or if you get used to the razor blades, you can use it for that as well). I was told years ago to break the razor in half, but I simply use one side first until it gets dull (which it will) then switch sides. Both sides of blade have a different marking, so you won't get confused (think one side says 2, other says A with the shick blades).

Ok, tails and wings. Here's a tip that so far most haven't seen (I say most, not ALL). I did this on one of my tutorials, and think I got the biggest "DOH" response from those who have severed off tails and wings while trying to shape a hair body. Grab some of the scotch tape you use for wrapping presents (the cloudier looking stuff by Scotch/3M, not the clearer stuff that is much stickier). Before you actually start tying in the body (whether you spin or stack the hair) cover the tail near the cutting point and wrap the wings with tape so it's out of the way. First, this gives you room to tie in the body. Second, this gives you a reference point to stop cutting. And usually won't cut through the tape if you're doing the sawing motion, unless you are cutting too hard. But is a good technique, and helps for those occasional screwups that even the most season have happen.

user posted image

Any one who takes the time to photograph their tying tips is alright in my book. I love this sight!!!!!!! God job man! I will use that tip when I tie with deer hair. headbang.gif

LOL. Thanks. I cheated. I did a step by step tutorial on the Waller Waker, so just stole the one picture I did of this step.

Sign in to follow this