Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
bear claw

white mayfly

I was walking a small creek in northern ontario this past august. Rising from a small pond was what seemed to be a small all white mayfly about 1 cm long. Any ideas as to what it is and possible patterns?

bear claw-

Based on the described habitat, time of year, size, and color, it was likely Anthopotamus verticus (Pale Cream Drake) of family Potamanthidae (Hacklegilled Burrowers). Their winged lifestages have 3 tails if you got close enough to count.

bear claw-

Based on the described habitat, time of year, size, and color, it was likely Anthopotamus verticus (Pale Cream Drake) of family Potamanthidae (Hacklegilled Burrowers). Their winged lifestages have 3 tails if you got close enough to count.

cool thanks

I like to do an extended body fly with a bleached deer hair or turkey flat wing, if you want 3 distinguished tails...calf tail works pretty well, and don't forget to throw on a couple wraps of hackle on the thorax...and if all else fails either tie a footprint or comparadun.

Sounds to me like they might have been white drakes, Ephoron album, which range from 9 to 13 mm.

White Fly Parachute (works for duns and spinners)

HOOK: TMC100 #10-14

THREAD: white

TAILS: white, cream or light dun hackle fibers

BODY: light gray dubbing

HACKLE: white or cream cock*- tyed parachute

*to better match the natural, add one or two turns of brown cock