Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
smalliestalker

More Great Lakes Steel flies

So after a great day on Sunday....I decided to tie up some other patterns to throw this weekend...This steel head/big lake run brown/giant rainbow hunting is a little addicting to say the least. I am usually a warm water fanatic...However....Late fall and early winter has a new fan in the chilly rivers up north.....

post-22995-1288885628_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1288885657_thumb.jpg

post-22995-1288885669_thumb.jpg

Very nice! I fish the Ohio tribs when I get time to run up (I am almost 4 hours south of Cleveland). Is that the Steelhead Hammer pattern in bottom-right of your pic? I've tied a lot of egg patterns, sucker spawn, small Clousers, leeches, Ice Man Minnows, and lots of other patterns to use up there. Last spring all white #6 Clousers and white/olive in the same size were big producers.

In the top right, below the olive bugger pattern, I think I saw a similar pattern like those in the last issue of Fly Fisherman, it was in the article about browns around ontario. Any luck with it?

OH NO! I don't think the fish are prepared for you, You seem like the kind of guy, that when he sets his mind to something , theres no turning back until you have reached your goal. and I know one steelhead isn't going to meet that. Those big fish such as Steel and Salmon can really be fun and addictive, Nice photos

Taylor...That's what I found them in...I changed them around as far as materials..I used marabou instead...Sunday will be try out day with them...I'll let you know...

Bruce...Oh yes my friend...You are right...This is now an obsession...I want a 15lber plus..This winter...

don't forget in the spring and winter there are good runs also plus in some rivers you get a summer run LOL great ties Pat also try a peach colored marabou with red flash as a flesh fly with the steelhead feeding on chunks of decaying Salmon it works really well