Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chris norris

6 weight rod

just got a new rod with a lot of flex and i mean a lot of flex. it is labeled as a 6 weight just wondering if this would be ok for winter steelhead in new york?

I have caught steelhead on a six weight. Give it a try and find out. :lol:

I use a 6 weight for almost all of my lake run rainbow fishing in NY and PA. Bump up to an 8 weight when fishing big and fast waters, like the Salmon River when it's running high.

I've used a five wt before, just because I forgot the second eight wt. I let the kid I was taking out use my eight. I caught two on my five, wont do it again cause it is hard on the fish but was fun.

I think you would be fine with it, I do have one concern though.

Some of the guides that I have fished with up there like the 7's, and there's not a terrible amount of difference between a 6 and a 7.

And you might have some extended luck being able to use a less bulkier fly line.

However, I don't know about the "flex" feature you're talking about.

I used an 8 weight once that was almost like a noodle and those bigger fish bent it all the way down into the handle. It made me feel like I was playing tug-o-war and made it difficult to keep upward pressure on the fish, I didn't land one all day.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this