Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Chris norris

Backing ? please help

Ok just a great mooching reel, I know mooching reels are used for trolling but it is built just like a fly reel and has an awesome drag system. here is the link to it http://www.cabelas.com/product/Daiwa-M-One...=mooching+reels . Can this be used as a fly reel, you can turn the drag of and on with a switch and can palm it as well. Also backing does it have to dacron or can you use floroucarbon or braided line for it? I know probably not braid since it would cut into the fly line at the knot.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you would probably get more responses if you posted this on a fly fishing Web site, rather than a tying site.

Same with your question about a six-weight.

As to your question, you could probably use anything as a fly reel. The question is, why would you, when a reel designed specifically for fly fishing would work better and be more enjoyable.

I use an old Pflueger Model 1498 that I have had for 35 years. Works just fine.

How are you planning on fishing? If you're using it as part of a Chuck-n-Duck rig, it'll serve the purpose, but I certianly wouldn't recommend it. All the mooching reels I've ever seen are just too large to be used as a fly reel. They probably weigh close to a pound or more & 5 - 6 inches in diameter, imagine trying to high-stick all day with that. Even with a traditional cast, your arm would be ready to fall off by the end of the day.

As for backing, you probably could use mono, since it was designed for use with it. But, take a look at the capacity. 660 yds of 17# mono. Even if you were to use 30# Dacron (plus fly line taking up more room on the spool), you're probably looking at 300 - 400 yds.

I agree with JohnP, there are tons of less expensive (while still being effective) gear out there. I definately 2nd checking out Pfleuger, I've landed tons of kings & steelies with them. I don't own one, but I've heard great things about the Pflueger Trion.

Interesting that he asks for responses, and then ignores them. I can't imagine why you would want to use a mooching reel on a fly rod. You're right, Jagerboy, those reels must weigh a ton and would be very uncomfortable to fish with.

i was just ask because the reel was given to me as a gift and seeing as how i don't have a boat for trolling figured i would ask. and i was not ignoring John I was at work

i was just ask because the reel was given to me as a gift and seeing as how i don't have a boat for trolling figured i would ask. and i was not ignoring John I was at work

Sorry Chris. I spoke out of turn. I do think you would be much better off trying to find a decent fly reel. You would probably enjoy fishing with it a lot more. A reel with a good drag and capacity for 100 yards of #30 braided dacron backing is all you need. As in most fly fishing, having the right line is more important than what reel you use. Again, I apologize for my rudeness.

Take care and best wishes,

John

forsure,

I could see someone getting away with using a mooching reel with a doubled handed rod, but using an overhead cast your arm would be done before you know it.

as for backing, just buy fly line backing, its the cheapest and does what its suppose to.

with mooching reels that are made from aluminum (islanders etc) you need to put a braid as backing. If you dont and you decide to put mono on it as backing the mono clumps together on one side and ultimately warps your reel.

But as for the M1-plus, it is plastic, so you dont have to worry about warping. In my opinion, sell the M1 and purchase an actual fly reel if thats what your primary fishing style is.