Fly Tying
learnin to fly

Discount Fly Hooks?

In the world of jig tying I have located a couple sources for quality materials online at a steep discount from what the mail order magazines offer. Are there any such outlets for fly tying hooks or materials? Looking for hooks mostly. Local shop is over $6.00 for 25 hooks. Is this average price? Seems high but I'm used to buying Matzuo Sickle jig hooks for $26 per 1000.

Yes, $6.00 per 25 is what a lot of hooks are going for these days. But you can find less expensive brands. You may want to check out this recent post:

http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php?showtopic=55068

As you already know, hooks are much cheaper when you buy in bulk. A box of 1000 is cheaper (per hook) than box of 100 which is cheaper than a box of 25 (per hook). The problem is two-fold: 1) The manufacturer doesn't always package 1000s and 2) Most flytyers want a good range of sizes of each style of hook but can't afford 1000 of each. One solution is to get together with like-minded tyers, make a large order, and divide up the lot.

I like the J. Stockard store brand of hooks, particularly the heavy wet fly hook. I too choked the last time I paid full retail for a package of hooks, but my local fly shop is in danger of going under, so I bit the bullet.

I like the J. Stockard store brand of hooks, particularly the heavy wet fly hook. I too choked the last time I paid full retail for a package of hooks, but my local fly shop is in danger of going under, so I bit the bullet.

I've been a Tiemco fan but decided to give the JS hooks a shot. Haven't received them yet so I don't yet have an opinion besides loving the price tag :). I wanted to ask though, how do these hold up in the field compared to the more expensive brands? Have you noticed any shortcomings when it comes to holding a point or rusting?

Bid on and won (only bid) 100 wet mustard hooks on Ebay for $3.95 plus $1.95 shipping. Bought sizes 12 and 14 so shipping was combined at $2.10. Went to Gander Mountain, a big box sporting goods store yesterday, and they are closing out mustard hooks. Bought blister packs of 100 hooks for $2.97. I try not to pay full price if I can avoid it.

Bid on and won (only bid) 100 wet mustard hooks on Ebay for $3.95 plus $1.95 shipping. Bought sizes 12 and 14 so shipping was combined at $2.10. Went to Gander Mountain, a big box sporting goods store yesterday, and they are closing out mustard hooks. Bought blister packs of 100 hooks for $2.97. I try not to pay full price if I can avoid it.

Not to be a know-it-all, but it's actually Mustad, not mustard. Sounds like you got a good deal on some quality hooks.

:D

Back in the late 50s when I started, we had only two or three choices in hooks, Mustads could be purchased in the few shops that sold fly tying supplies at all, and Herters hooks (including Seeley if I remember right,) could be ordered mail order. Back then, I never did see any Orvis or other catalogs, but I do think there were some other hooks available. In general most people used either Mustad, or Herters hooks. I still have some Herters Popper hooks from the 50s. Either way, the price was less than $4.00 per HUNDRED.

Now we can get many different brands of hooks, Mustad is still around, several dozen different "name" brand hooks from around the world are readily available in the US. There are at about a dozen different credible "store" brand hooks as well. If you look around, there are many other hook brands available in Europe and Asia. So many choices, and funny thing is, they ALL seem to snag the nearest bush or tree with about the same ease.

Most of the "Name" brand hooks are priced somewhere north of $20.00 per hundred, and some go for upwards of $30.00. I for one am very happy to see so many different "store" brand hooks. I would much rather loose a dozen 10 cent hooks than a dozen 30 cent hooks. I have not had any problems with the different store brand hooks that I have been using in the last few years, and I don't recall having any problems with Mustad hooks through the more than 4 decades that I have fished with them.

As a custom tyer, I always defered to customers who had a preference for a particular brand, but for myself, I have used, and continue to use Mustad, H$H, JS, Cabelas, Eagle Claw ABI and other bargain brand hooks.

Day5

You really need to go to Capt Hooks http://www.captainhookswarehouse.com/index.cfm?page=home

I'll give you one example

Eagle Claw 570's Size 1 1000 Barlows $35.43

Eagle Claw 570's Size 1 1000 Capt Hooks $17.85 (by ordering 1000 you get 15% discount)

If you want to get a bunch of differnt size jig hooks you can order by 100, 250 (5%), 500 (10%), 1000 (15%)

In fly hooks they only carry Eagle Claw, Mustad and VMC.

It will definately save you some money

Fatman

For tying streamers and large nymphs and dries, I buy 50 or more longshank hooks with a straight eye, and bend the eyes with my vice. 50 hooks cost around 3 or 4 dollars at Dicks. However, I highly suggest you sharpen them, just to be sure. <_<

our local mini-mart carrys Eagle Claw Aberdeens that I use for alot of different patterns, flex for eye up or down, $2 for 25...

Darrin

Day5

You really need to go to Capt Hooks http://www.captainhookswarehouse.com/index.cfm?page=home

I'll give you one example

Eagle Claw 570's Size 1 1000 Barlows $35.43

Eagle Claw 570's Size 1 1000 Capt Hooks $17.85 (by ordering 1000 you get 15% discount)

If you want to get a bunch of differnt size jig hooks you can order by 100, 250 (5%), 500 (10%), 1000 (15%)

In fly hooks they only carry Eagle Claw, Mustad and VMC.

It will definately save you some money

Fatman

Thanks for that info!