Fly Tying
learnin to fly

Discount Fly Hooks?

Anyone bought hooks from Allen?? Crazy deals on there right now. like 450+ various sized hooks no shipping and two free fly boxes for $35! I am really thinking about buying some, but would like to at least hear a few peoples thoughts.

Anyone bought hooks from Allen?? Crazy deals on there right now. like 450+ various sized hooks no shipping and two free fly boxes for $35! I am really thinking about buying some, but would like to at least hear a few peoples thoughts.

Allen has very good hooks and they are ALWAYS priced lower than their competitors

Gypsy Outdoors. Their website is under construction but it has a link to their Ebay Store. DaiRiki hooks about $9 per hundred. Excellent hooks and excellent service from the seller. :headbang: Love the pics he uses for the hooks , gives all the pertinant info such as length (1x , 2x) etcs. If he doesn`t have the size you want just ask him , he is quick to reply.

I mostly tie with allenflyfishing.com hooks!! I have seen really no defects as of yet. Just like any brand you might get a couple where the eyes are not fully closed. I am meaning very very small gap but some pliers fix that. I have found with every brand about the same amount. Maybe 1 every 200. Justin is a good guy and now he is a sponsor on the site so I would give them a try! Plus the fly box you get is a VERY high quality box

You can try "www.togenenterprises.com".

They have good discount packages on 1000 hook lots (mix & match by size and type in 100 hook packs) or better discount in 1000 hook packs, all of same type and size.

Also have other materials, etc. at pretty good prices.

I've just bought 3000 hooks from them and service seems pretty good. Hooks went out next day and are currently in transit. Prices work out to less than $ 7.00/100 in the 100 hook packs, taxes, S&H included.

I scanned this bulletin board and decided based on some recommendations from members on this site.

These are chemically sharpened hooks: I assume they are similar to other house brands available from sources previously mentioned.

Tight Lines

Don ( morfrost)

I try not to pay full price if I can avoid it.

I agree, Pretty much every time i place an order through cabelas or bass pro i look at their hook section to see if anything is on sale. One can never have too many hooks.

Tight Lines

Another great Store to buy quality hooks from is http://www.canadianllama.com/.

He currently has around 38 different types of flys right from size 20 to 4/0. He has on the site packages in 25 to 100 but if you ask he will give discounts on bulk orders. I have dealt with him numerous times and alays had great service.

He also sells glitter thread and has numerous other materials like llama dubbing and things not on the website but feel free to ask Kent about it.

Also has great prices on beads. Multi coloured and brass and tungsten. Pretty sure he had his own tungsten bead molds made to keep the price down.

Tight lines

Fish Dragon

I've started using Montana Fly Co hooks almost exclusively. They are sharp out of the package, at half the price of TMC. I get them from Kingfisher Fly Shop www.kingfisherflyshop.com.

I've compared them to TMC, and they are identical bend, size and length. I'm not sure if they make their own or they private label from someone else. All I know if they work well for a good price.

But I did order a package from Allen yesterday, just to compare. Every little bit of savings counts!

I'm all over Allen fly hooks, I tie some carp flies on #2 scud hooks and they have them for me, and I also tie bass flies on #2 wet hooks and they have them for me also, and no super huge up charge. Good stuff and killer pricing.

Steve