Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
FlyFishin'Jam

Pink Salmon type ties for swinging

Well i am a total newb at tying for salmon, my relm is firmly planted in streamers and saltwater patterns, i would love to start tying some of the classic type patterns i see on here soon! Some awesome material i see here. Ahh well gimmie a year or so.

Anyway, i have fished pinks and chinooks on the west coast. Usually when browsing the fly selections at shops i see an aweful lot of pink stuff. I mean i don't think it matters, i have caught pinks on all sorts of flies, and they would probably eat a bare hook sometimes. The pink larger sizes certainly might help in discoloured water or when bigger fish like coho and chinooks are around.

here are a couple of my embarrassing ties.

post-29540-1290027138_thumb.jpg

1 is a black fuzzle bugger which i just put a bit of pink chenille at the eye of the hook, has some 0.30 lead wire in him

2 is just a simple pink bunny strip zonker type thing again with some lead wire

3 is interesting, its made with a purple sparkle dubbing brush and is actually a clouser type fly with tungsten hourglass eyes

4 is a big ass streamer with what was left of my dubbing brush and a few pink saddle hackles, also 0.30 lead wire (i think this would be for larger fish its 1/0, probably needs a stinger hook i rekon) Also i suspect this would work for pike.

greetings btw :)

Not embarrassing at all, very nice in fact. Welcome to the Forum!

Oh thankyou! These will be heading with me to BC next season, might try a couple of my other streamers i put in the warmwater section for steelhead still. Working on a nice alewife at the moment.

Jam,

next come you come out this way, and get the itch to try something different, throw on a floating line and skate the Pink Wog for pinks. Its a blast getting a pink salmon on the surface, beats snagging them when its too thick.

Jam,

next come you come out this way, and get the itch to try something different, throw on a floating line and skate the Pink Wog for pinks. Its a blast getting a pink salmon on the surface, beats snagging them when its too thick.

Hot tip! Thankyou! I asked around a few times as i was curious about getting them on the surface, but no-one really gave me any answers! I had an idea they would maybe take something 'skated' but now its confirmed i think i will tie this little beggar! I know what you mean about the 'thick/ snagging' you really have to have a quick hook set, if you miss you will just snag the fish's mate. And thats a big no no, massive disrespect. Thanks for this! Here is one of those nasty male camel sized pinks on the 5wt with 6lb. P.S that fly is hot, /me runs to bench for next season.

post-29540-1290061307_thumb.jpg

and a nice female

post-29540-1290061382_thumb.jpg

And Bruce, thankyou, i think i am getting there - i mean some ties are see here are so purfect, the heads so neat, everything is so purfect...I wouldn't mind a classic pattern to start with (something simple ish) with materials that don't cost too much and are easy to find.

ya thats awsome.

coho will rise to the dry aswell.

I have heard chum taking a skated dry but have never tried.

the buck pink is one nasty humpy! hahaha. Nice.

Pink wogs and unweighted Pink flash flies will slay Pinks. When we were in Alaska a few years back we'd start each day with catching 40-50 Pinks before we started fishing for the real fish.

Have fun man!

Final Fantasy XIV developers have produced a detailed look at the upcoming changes in the user interface, chat feature, text commands and targeting.

fast wow gold

After publishing the article on November 17th, fast wow gold devs also took time to answer several questions from.

cheap aion kinah

the community to come in the first large update tentatively scheduled for November 25th.cheap aion kinah

cheap aion kinah

Under the main menu,cheap aion kinah the Attributes & Gear option will be split into two options, Attributes and Gear.

ffxi gil

There will also be a Loot option that will be displayed under the Interactions menu whenever an item occupies a player's loot list.ffxi gil

Final Fantasy XI GIL

Improvements to menu navigation when using a gamepad or keyboard will be made.Final Fantasy XI GIL

maple story mesos

And finally,maple story mesos the experience and skill point bars currently displayed in the upper left portion while the main menu is open will now be visible on the screen at all times in the same manner as the HP bar.