Fly Tying
boynabubble

Favorite Panfish Rod?

I have an 8ft 4wt, St. Croix premier (2004 model I believe) that doubles as my trout/panfish rod. I've had some decent sized shellcrackers really take me for a ride on that thing, but it's also brought to hand some fair sized smallmouth over the years and handled them well. I'll fish that rod the rest of my life if it doesnt break on me.

Also I have a 7'6 3wt TFO signature as a backup, which I do not like nearly as much, but Im going to start using it more this year while bringing multiple rods on the float tube instead of just one.

My favorite, go-to panfish rod is an assertive 2 wt. rod I own that I overline with a RIO WF3F Warmwater line (sadly discontinued). For me, I consider it just about perfect for panfish. I can easily cast up to size 6 streamers and small deer hair poppers 40' with it, and I've easily taken out the occasional unintended bass up to 15" with it.

My favorite, go-to panfish rod is an assertive 2 wt. rod I own that I overline with a RIO WF3F Warmwater line (sadly discontinued). For me, I consider it just about perfect for panfish. I can easily cast up to size 6 streamers and small deer hair poppers 40' with it, and I've easily taken out the occasional unintended bass up to 15" with it.

Exactly the same for me but I like the climax 3 wt floating line. I have a 2wt rainshadow built by ridderbos. its my favorite rod. the biggest bas Ive landed on it was 17 in. with out a doubt the perfect gill rod.

You guys mentioned lines, so thought I would ask...

I seen one of you mention that Rio had discontinued the "warmwater" series of lines, which makes sense because when I was searching for a new line the other day, I couldn't find a single fly line designed for warm water in a 3 weight from any of the companies.

I ended up ordering a 3 weight Scientific Anglers Textured GPX fly line because it was at least listed for temperate water conditions, but it will likely become extremely soft on those really hot Summer days as well.

Does anyone know of a warmwater 3 weight line?