Fly Tying
boynabubble

Organizing Materials

When I first started, I kept all my materials in one small metal tool box that I made in shop class in high school. Next I added a top-opening tackle box with fold out trays. Then I realized I could hardly shut either box, or find anything without dumping everything out. Now I have this:

-The metal tool box for wool, egg yarn, and McFly foam (lot of steelhead material)

-The tackle box for tools, threads, and some synthetics like rubber legs and eyes, epoxy, super glue, etc...

Starting from the bottom of my "tower" of storage containers:

-2 medium sized pastic drawers with bucktails

-1 medium sized drawer with marabou

-1 medium sized drawer with flash materials

-1 medium sized drawer with body material (chenille, dubbing, floss)

-1 medium sized feather drawer (pheasant, goose, turkey, peacock)

-1 larger "naturals" drawer, mostly stuff I collected (deer hair, elk, coyote, and all barred and crosscut rabbit strips)

-1 larger hackles drawer (dry fly hackles and strung saddle hackle)

-1 small drawer with CDC and para-post material

-1 small drawer with regular rabbit strips (that one is stuffed)

-1 small drawer with eyes, beads, and cones

My hook storage is a large adjustable Plano Stowaway style box, most hooks are kept in original packs and not stored loose.

Yeah, I expanded somewhat from the beginning. ;)

post-22901-1291320675_thumb.jpg

I stayed pretty simple and tried to hang what i use the most (and it also helps keep me from ordering stuff I already have).

I use bins for extras and misc.

kcnal, I love you're avatar. I'm a JK Unlimited owner as well.

Right now all my materials (except bobbins) fits in a large plastic storage tub. Within the plastic bin are smaller containers with like-materials grouped together. For example, one has all deer hair, another has other hair, another has scud back, antron yarn, and beads, etc. But the large in is getting full, so a new problem is on the horizon.

kcnal, I love you're avatar. I'm a JK Unlimited owner as well.

Right now all my materials (except bobbins) fits in a large plastic storage tub. Within the plastic bin are smaller containers with like-materials grouped together. For example, one has all deer hair, another has other hair, another has scud back, antron yarn, and beads, etc. But the large in is getting full, so a new problem is on the horizon.

I know what you mean....I'm seeming to accumulate quickly which poses numerous problems... :wallbash:

1. Apparently the UPS guy insists on only delivering when my wife is there to see.

2. She notices a new color thread, let alone a bigger set of bins moving in to accommodate new (more) stuff.

Because I am a snow bird I use 3 ring binders for everything. I use picture sleeves or sheet protectors, usually the single 8x10 sleeve, then create custom pockets using my seal-a-meal. Once I create the "pocket", I use a razor blade to cut an opening whereever I need so the item can be easily stored in the pocket and stay put. That way I can create pockets just the right size for whatever goes in it.

Depending on what is going in the pockets, I can get 20-40 pages in a binder. Each binder has a theme. Hair, Feathers, hooks, beads and baubbles. I have bought the custom pencil holders that are made for 3 ring binders to hold tools glues etc. My only problem is thread spools. For those I use a plascit box until I can find a better solution.

Once everything is in binders they go on the shelf and I need only reach up to grab the appropriate binder and select my materials...

Each binder is labeled on the outside as to contents.

Because I am a snow bird I use 3 ring binders for everything. I use picture sleeves or sheet protectors, usually the single 8x10 sleeve, then create custom pockets using my seal-a-meal. Once I create the "pocket", I use a razor blade to cut an opening whereever I need so the item can be easily stored in the pocket and stay put. That way I can create pockets just the right size for whatever goes in it.

Depending on what is going in the pockets, I can get 20-40 pages in a binder. Each binder has a theme. Hair, Feathers, hooks, beads and baubbles. I have bought the custom pencil holders that are made for 3 ring binders to hold tools glues etc. My only problem is thread spools. For those I use a plascit box until I can find a better solution.

Once everything is in binders they go on the shelf and I need only reach up to grab the appropriate binder and select my materials...

Each binder is labeled on the outside as to contents.

That's pretty neat. I hadn't even thought of that. Should be pretty space efficient too.

Most of what I have fit in plano boxes, the large ones are deep and single compartment. The thinner ones are assorted types of dividers from two on up. For some reason, plano does not make a thin single compartment. For larger items I use the plastic drawers.

post-24225-1291466109_thumb.jpg

Well a few years ago I started off with a tackle box. I out grew that in about a month. Moved up to shoe boxes, one for fur, one for feathers, and one for "other stuff." This was very hard to keep organized and find what I was looking for. And, truth be told I was out growing those too. That when I moved to my current set up that I hope will last a while.

I took over an small room in the basement, its about 8'x7'. I put an 8' work bench along one wall under a window. My reloading stuff got mounted on one end and my tying stuff got put on the other. Then, on the wall across from the bench I ripped down the sheet rock and put up two 4'x8' sheets of white peg board ($14 at home depot) and picked up a couple boxes of hooks and hanger for the peg board (another $10 or so). I got all my stuff hung up and still have a lot of room for more. Its kind of like tying in a fly shop, I just turn around and there is everything all laid out on the wall, i see what i need take it down and use it. When Im done it is easy to put stuff back too. For threads I found the best way to store them was in small Plano boxes from Wal-Mart. I bought several of them a few months ago when they were on sale and was going to use them for storing all my winter tied flys. But, I found that each compartment held a spool of thread perfectly. So I bought some more to store thread and wire.

In addition to my main supply I keep a very condensed supply of tying stuff in an old wooden tool box my grandfather had. It has a flip up lid, and a fold down front that holds in about a dozen drawers. Its perfect for keeping a supply of the essentials to take on trips or to head to a friend house for tying.

For Hooks I just use the plastic snap top boxes they come in, if they do come in those. If they dont I use a plastic bead organizer from Ben Franklin. They look like those weekly pill organizers you get at the drug store except they have a "safety" button on the end. None of the tops will open unless the button is pushed. Ive never had one come open on accident.

Thats about it. Im pretty lucky to have a dedicated area to tie. If you cant convince your wife to give up that walk-in-closet to use as a tying area, just keep planting feathers, fur clippings, beads and the occasional hook in different areas of the house. When she complains just point out how all that stuff could be keep in one place if only you had such a place. If she doesnt suggest moving it to the dog house you just may get the closet! But dont blame me if she kicks you out and you end up having to get your own apartment. If you do just make sure it has two bedrooms and you'll have your own room for tying!