Fly Tying

This is my attempt at a humpy!!

What do you think? I didn't have any brown hackle to use with the grizzly so I just made the grizzly extra dense.

post-27408-1290807072_thumb.jpg

This is my attempt at a humpy!!

What do you think? I didn't have any brown hackle to use with the grizzly so I just made the grizzly extra dense.

post-27408-1290807072_thumb.jpg

Hi Brian,

Thats a nice fly. I've had laods of success on humpys, there great. I mainly used them round mayfly time.

Have a good time fishing it!

Best Regards and Tight Lines,

~David

its great for a first attempt a few things I see that I will comment on only to help you improve your skills the tail is a bit long remember about the same length as the gap of the hook also it is spun a bit around the hook if you take a loop of thread around it before you tie it to the hook it will help that problem the wings are supose to be the tips of the body hair tied upright and divided other then them 2 things it looks really good and I am sure the fish wont be as harsh as I was the step by step fly tire posted is a great one also tie them in red and yellow for a good hi float dry for fishing tail waters

Looks good Bryan! Just some friendly advice, I agree with steelheadslayer on the tail length and if you didn't use a hair stacker for the tail that will help give it a cleaner look. The deer hair posts can be a pain and sometimes I substitute them with polypro yarn. That way instead of stacking, measuring and aligning clumps of deer hair I can tie in the polypro posts and then cut them to length.

Keep it up! I look forward to seeing what you tie next!

Here's another step by step for a Humpy - easiest one I've found, and the proportions work out well.

Humpy SBS

I would agree - the tail is a little long. Also, probably more of an asthetic note - the wings should use the tapered tips of the hair rather than the cut butt ends.

Should still fish fine. Don't worry about having the wrong hackle color - you can find a Humpy in about any color.

Deeky

Now for my $0.02 worth of input.

As has been noted, the tail is too long, and the tips are not aligned. One does not need a hair stacker to align the tips. Simply hold the hair loosely in the tying hand and lightly tap the tips against the base of the thumb on the opposite hand or the heel of the hand. Works very well for small clumps of hair, such as is used for tails.

Also, the tail is tied down on the back side of the hook. Make sure that the hair does NOT spin around the hook due to the torque of the tying thread while being tied down. This is best accomplished by firmly pinching the material to the top of the hook during the entire tying in.

Another tip is to use two separate bunches of hair to construct the tail and the body. The butts of the body should be tied in DIRECTLY on top of the butts of the tail; and this same point is where you want to tie down the tip ends when you fold the hair for the back forward, leaving sufficient tip length to create the wings, which are divided at this same point.

In other words, all hair tie-in and tie-off is done at one and the same point. This is the same point where the hackles are tied in.

perchjerker

Thanks for the great advice. I will try this one again and see if I can't get it a bit better. I tried to line up the hairs in hand since I don't have a stacker but I didn't do a very good job. I will have to try PJ's trick.

to line up hair tips there is a way Bigdaddyhubard passed on from Floyd take a bic pen or any hollow tube put the hair into it then lightly make circles on your hand with the tips of hair the hair will make a static charge pulling the other hair even with it causing the tips to align