Fly Tying
day5

Fly or Lure?

fly or lure  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

just squirt some crawfish shad pheremone scent on it and move along to the next fish....

Reading Ray Bergman and other notable fly fishermen / authors from the last century, spinners and even "fly rod plugs" were always being used on fly tackle. If someone wants to have a problem with it, they really have too much damn time on their hands.

If we all smoked pipes and whore tweed sport coats while on the river then it would be a different story.

Myself, when I took up fly fishing, I traded the pipe and whore tweed sports coat in for a New Orleans Saints T-shirt and a pack of Red Man.

Mike

"Room service! You need towel?" - Great show Matt!

actually, now that I think about it, the tweed coat did help convince my wife into marrying me!

(I don't think I've ever owned tweed)

20 dollars for a rapala?

Right? Go to bass pro shops and look at all the new fancy stickbaits and designer crankbaits and then walk right past that isle and go to the one where they still sell bomber long a's and slapsticks!

I dont care what people call their tools. For me its a grey area between weight and if it was tied by hand. Although if you tie striper jigs on 1/2 oz heads you wouldnt call that a fly. At least I wouldnt. If I could cast a fly on a spinning rod with 10 lb line the bait in question is right in the middle of that grey area. I just thought the line was on a fly rod to cast the fly. And the lure is used as weight to cast on a baitcaster.

Although to fish quickly and effectively you might have to add a little more weight on a fly for fast or deep water. And flys tied with more weight for specific applications donesnt make them lures because you could cast them on a spinning reel. It just makes them flys tied to be fished within certain parameters. So there are a lot of variables and when someone doesnt take them into account they make uneducated assumptions about certain flys because they could be cast on a spinner so its obviously a lure. Maybe?

I just hate when people say "on the fly". Uhhhg.

In Aus i once saw this dude with a spinning rod, a huge sinker, and about 3 flies up his line, he was launching them a long way and seemed to be catching fish. Also seen these sabichi or bait chaser (spelling) rigs, similar design and concept usually used to catch bait, a whole team of flies on a line with a sinker to be cast with a spinning outfit.

In Aus i once saw this dude with a spinning rod, a huge sinker, and about 3 flies up his line, he was launching them a long way and seemed to be catching fish. Also seen these sabichi or bait chaser (spelling) rigs, similar design and concept usually used to catch bait, a whole team of flies on a line with a sinker to be cast with a spinning outfit.

Its not uncommon on one of the local rivers I visit to have people with spinning rigs throw nymphs with weight. I guess it makes sense considering the insane cost of buying a rod, reel and line. Whatever gets your jollys off. As far as I'm concerned if you can manage to throw a bass plug with a rod or just troll it behind a boat on a fly rod its a fly.

Just as a side note, Panther Martin at one time had a line of very small spinners designed just for fly rods!