Fly Tying
day5

Fly or Lure?

fly or lure  

208 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

The company themselves sell those items as lures and they were yearly regulars in the 90s in lure catalogues but they will work cast on a fly rod. The same as casting flies on a spinning rod using a small lead to provide weight and flies on droppers as bait. Fishing is fishing, the bait and method of delivering it splits folk into styles and there are many grey areas between.

Peterjay....

Posted 04 January 2013 - 11:52 AM

I'll bet Ditz remembers Rocky and Rocky Jr. They were tiny jointed plugs, about an inch long, that could easily be thrown with a fly rod. They looked exactly like a wiggling minnow in the water, and were absolutely killer on trout and bass. Why they went out of production is hard to figure, considering how effective they were. Guess the fact that they were too light to be cast with anything except ultralight and fly tackle must have had something to do with it. I remember what I think were knockoffs that were marketed as Inch Minnows that were very similar.

I do in fact remember them. I don't recall ever buying any. I remember them as being quite expensive and I was afraid that they would not swim well. I did however have ( and still do ) a few L&S Mirrolures in a real small size. I caught a lot of SM on them. Some of the Mirrolures did not swim well and Rebel also sold a very small minnow but I never could get them to swim correctly either. I did a lot of UL spinning back then. I still have a box full of the old 1/32oz beetle spins. Those were real fish getters too. I also still have several of the 'F' size flatfish. The smallest one was wood and had only one single hook. The next sizes up were plastic and had one small treble. I believe the largest F series had 2 small trebles on a spreader off to each side of the lure much like the normal sized flatfish. Sorry for the non-FF post.

IT DOESNT MATTER WHAT ANYONE REFER TO THEM AS, THEY ALL CATCH FISH AND WE ARE ALL FISHING FOR THE SAME REASONS.AND I AGREE WITH boynabubble,its a flure, that in the automotive industry would be refered to as a hybrid.LOL plus i have seen spin casters use fly and a bubble and ive seen fly fishers using spinners casting them on a fly rod. we all like to make some sort of hybrids.

If you take this topic into saltwater, everything goes to hell in a handcart because there just ain't no flies in saltwater. All of the niches in saltwater

that are occupied by insects in fresh water are occupied by crustaceans. So, there ain't no flies in saltwater.

I am no purist. I think nothing of chumming up flsh then casting flies into them. Spinners, no problem. Silicon hickies, no problem. As a long time charter boat captain,

I absolutely had to do something to hedge my bet so poor casters could catch fish on a flyrod. Some of my flies resemble nothing at all you'd ever recognize but they

sometimes appeal to the fish.

No need for anybody to get their shorts in a knot. To each his own.

I would check with a game warden before I would use it on fly water only.

I have a fly tied with a blade on it. Game warden said it was a lure.

Did not use it as I did not want to get a ticket.

Rick

Just because one ties a fly to use on a fly rod, doesn't mean it will work. Weight is always a factor one needs to consider. Wind resistance is huge factor. I made the coolest looking dragon flies once. Big, like a green darner. Tried it out on the water,, total crap out. The wing material I used had a parachute effect on the fly. Was packing foam sheet material. Wouldn't cast at all. Well it didn't cast like I wanted it too. Just died in mid cast, then fell like turd from the sky. Changed it to midge flash. didn't look as cool, but it worked.

I would check with a game warden before I would use it on fly water only.

I have a fly tied with a blade on it. Game warden said it was a lure.

Did not use it as I did not want to get a ticket.

Rick

Wow, I never gave that a thought before. I do way more warm water fishing then I do for trout. But I do fish for trout too. "Fly only water" One needs to be careful about that.

• Fishing may be done with artificial flies and streamers constructed of natural or synthetic materials, so long as all flies are constructed in a normal fashion on a single hook with components wound on or about the hook. Anything other than these items is prohibited. This is from a rule book in Pennsylvania about "Fly only water". Makes you scratch your head, don't it.

Would have to say that is a lure by law. I guess. Uh?

what's the better deer cartridge, .308 or 30-06 ?

Neither, the 7.62x54R.

now you're just talking crazy.

:)

I don't have a problem with it. It is what it is. I use jig hooks, worm hooks, drop shot hooks. I tie flies with propellers behind the eye for pike and salt water. Trying to figure out how to get an inline spinner blade on the hook. I now tie my medium to large poppers and Crease flies on articulated shanks and use a barbless treble hook.

post-309-0-01752900-1391974228_thumb.jpg

post-309-0-85338100-1391974264_thumb.jpg