Fly Tying
Mr. Vegas

My first time showing anyone my flies!

This is really the first time I am showing anyone my new addiction :) . I was forced into retirement because of an illness and now I have the shakes real bad. The doctor told me to get a hobbie that you work with your hands to help with my shaking. It does get really frustrating sometimes but I love to tie now!!! I put my first hook in the vise on July 30th of this year and been cranking them out ever since. I have amassed a ton of materials now from estate sales and ebay. Got some real neat old hooks and a ton of capes and such for real cheap. Sorry some of my pics are not the best but I did it real quick. These are some of the flies I tied today and the other are what I have tied thus far. Being 28 with nothing to do, this seems to fill my day. So I think I have come a long way in just 4 short months. Sorry for so many pictures but just excited to finally show someone. Here are a couple I have been tying today

Alright... Here was my very very first fly...........

eflnjdf9eufk8nn29s9rsu339f.jpg

This is a couple dry flies and midge I have done. Most are size 18 and the midge is a 24

s2u3nen239fff8l2n8suf48fff.jpg

This is just something I was playing around with

nsfe88sfu4n28s8djnffss8f2s.jpg

This is a woolhead scuphin

f2s23sl4lr8982fdn3fkejl8kf.jpg

Here are some leeches and hoppers and a couple nymphs

423lf9fnlf99d82nnffnff2f2r.jpg

Here are some more drys and nymphs and a couple other hoppers and emergers

f2lfn29e2ss28ee8f8d9l88s2n.jpg

Here are some irresistables, caddis's, drakes, and parachutes

2d23nnlsr9nnsf4fnssrf2838f.jpg

More drys, emergers, and caddis's

8234fnnn288jffus2jf9s99kfj.jpg

Just more drys

9f2rn3jkdjfnffksue22fnen8l.jpg

I can't remeber what these are called

rk2439jnj2sdsnn22j2rn92ff4.jpg

Wow! You have been busy! Awesome flies! B)

Wow, nice flies! You've only been tying for 6 months?? Amazing. I've been tying for 20 years, it took me a LOT longer to get anything looking that nice. Do you get to fish them much? Thanks for sharing your ties.

Tom

Wow, nice flies! You've only been tying for 6 months?? Amazing. I've been tying for 20 years, it took me a LOT longer to get anything looking that nice. Do you get to fish them much? Thanks for sharing your ties.

Tom

This is the start of my 5th month. I have fly fished a lot in the past but I am kinda stuck to my house because of illness and being in vegas really doesn't hold too much fishing areas that I know of but I have only been here since June. Hopefully this spring I will be able to get out. Thank you all for your kind words

I found an old shadow box I had and today and I put a single fly in it. It was my first spun deer head fly and I was quite proud of it. I just need to get a piece of glass for it

89jlff3fjr9s2njrlns92jfrle.jpg

89jf8sesnsj9f24e2488kfnsj2.jpg

Nice ties all of them. You obviously know a little about what your doing. Those last bugs are rubber legged wooly worms, and I seem to remember them being called ugly bugs by some. Not that they are ugly at all, quite effective in the west. Hope all this therapy is helping with your shaking.

Great looking flies. Keep it up. I understand about illness and not being able to get out and go fishing. I have an autoimune disease called sjogrens that has caused me to end up with neruopothy in both my feet so I can't stand very long. I think this summer I am going to try float tube fly fishing :yahoo:

dude that deer hair has salmon slayer written aaaaaaaaalllll over it!!! Very nice! What did you use for for hackle on that bad boy? Flies i tied 5 months in couldn't even be kept in my flybox for fear of scarin fish away lol, you're doing great!! Keep it up man, anything can be overcome with the right state of mind.

Cheers bro

Nice ties all of them. You obviously know a little about what your doing. Those last bugs are rubber legged wooly worms, and I seem to remember them being called ugly bugs by some. Not that they are ugly at all, quite effective in the west. Hope all this therapy is helping with your shaking.

I was born and raised in southeast Idaho. I had Island park and hour away, Jackson Hole and hour away, Yellowstone an hour and a half, and the southfork of the snake just 15 minutes away. I did quite a bit of fishing in my high school and college years. Never fished my own fly before though. It seems to be working. If I stay still I shake but if I am using my hands I don't as bad. As you can see with all the flies I tied in 4 months... I don't like shaking.

Great looking flies. Keep it up. I understand about illness and not being able to get out and go fishing. I have an autoimune disease called sjogrens that has caused me to end up with neruopothy in both my feet so I can't stand very long. I think this summer I am going to try float tube fly fishing :yahoo:

I got stomach cancer and early set parkinson's. It wont get any worse with the shaking and they really don't know if it will get better.. But oh well I found a new passion in the process so everything is all good :)

I tied those bead body phesant tails that I was going to upload for you but I put them in a little plastic cup and now I can't find them :wallbash: I'll tie up somemore but I have to wait for more beads to come in the mail. I have a whole full box of bead body flies but waiting to finish a couple more patterns I am developing and I will upload them all in the fly database. I have 7 of normal flies I developed using some interesting materials I found but I am waiting for the perfect one of each before I upload. I'm think I am just being too critical or doubting my ability since there are people on this board that are very seasoned pros and I only have a couple months under my belt. I would suggest float tubing! When I was in highschool I broke my ankle and I would go tubing cause I couldn't really stand and that was the only way I could fish.

dude that deer hair has salmon slayer written aaaaaaaaalllll over it!!! Very nice! What did you use for for hackle on that bad boy? Flies i tied 5 months in couldn't even be kept in my flybox for fear of scarin fish away lol, you're doing great!! Keep it up man, anything can be overcome with the right state of mind.

Cheers bro

I just used some oversized white saddle hackle. I really am enjoying tying and stoked I found this site. I started out with some books from the library and youtube. Then I got the benchside reference book which is amazing to say the least. I then had a buddy going to estate sales for me and I got hundreds of different dubbings and saddles and furs and such. I found a guy in arizona that inherited his fathers tying stuff and wanted to get rid of it. With that I got over 10,000 hooks and more books and a ton of old school tools and materials as well. Alot of these hooks I got are in the old time mustad boxes that I assume should be good?? But most were tiemco and Dai-riki. He was a game warden so I got a lot of stuff from his area and polar bear and real seal and a couple jungle cock capes and a ton of other stuff for $100!! I have not found a fly shop in vegas other than the bass pro shop.

Thanks for the props. Glad I finally posted some pics of stuff

Careful with the "exotics" like polar bear and seal, never know who'll read this stuff and get mental about it, maybe you just "saw" those amazing tying materials but didn't buy them until you looked into the local possesion laws ;) Either way, that salmon bug is a dandy, im definitely gonna add a few of those to the box. They're called Green Machines up this way but mostly made with brown or orange hackle, that stuff you used seems to have a shimmer or something, i almost bit the monitor lookin at it lol

i'll remember that with the exotics. I looked up the green machine and there was the fly... Just had brown hackle. I think I got this pattern from an old book i had and they called it a bomber but it was tied with natural color deer hair

Yep, bombers are one of the most popular dry flies on the salmon rivers up here, a green machine is a variant of that fished wet and tied on a smaller hook, bug style, without having the horns or wings on the head like a bomber

http://www.wwdoak.com/index.php?index=15

http://www.wwdoak.com/index.php?index=16