Fly Tying
Mr. Vegas

Has anyone ever used dayfly hooks??

I bought some stuff at an estate sale and these hooks were in the box. I have searched a little online and can't find anything about them. I just thought they were very interesting.

Just wondering if anyone has any information about them? These are a 16 and i have all 25

s2uk238j8ss8n232n48u3ekk2n.jpg

i am interested to find who the manufacture is and how old they are. If they made very little of them they could be worth something some day. I just found another bag of them in 16's as well but only has 3 of them in it so I am going to try and tie something with those 3 and see how it turns out. These hooks were a pretty sweet idea

I wanted to try one and this was a really crude tie lol.. I was shaking really bad with this one so I screwed up the head royally!!!!! but I really wanted to try the hook

n4fsj9s2j2ku3n2e9ns2fkjl2u.jpg

I wanted to try one and this was a really crude tie lol.. I was shaking really bad with this one so I screwed up the head royally!!!!! but I really wanted to try the hook

n4fsj9s2j2ku3n2e9ns2fkjl2u.jpg

I had some years ago. I forget the source of the ones I had. I think they indeed were Partridge hooks.

The wire seemed too heavy for me for a mayfly.

I purchased about a hundred a long time ago. Tried out a few patterns, and then traded off the rest. I don't think I used more than 5 out of what I purchased. I found out that upside down curved hooks, gave pretty much the same extended body look, and floated as well.

I tied a couple more and they just don't seem to land right and I don't like the vertical eye either

If you look at my avitar picture, that fly will always land upright, and has a nice up curve to the body. I think they make a good mayfly profile. That one is a no hackle comparadun tie. If I do tie these with hackles, I clip out the bottom center section of the hackle.

The hook is a mustad 37160 which I open the bend up a little.

do you know where there is a hook comparison chart? Like a mustad 37160 is pretty much the same as a tiemco --- or dai-riki --- .. I hope that make sense.

i found some. I have some eagle claw english bait hooks which are pretty much the same I also have some tiemco 205BL which might be closer and barbless.

Thanks for the info

Just Google "hook comparison chart" you will get quite a few sites with comparison lists. Yes the Eagle Claw hook is very close to the Mustad 37160. But I do open the bend on both before I use them.