Fly Tying
flyfishing99

Who do you think is the best tier you have watched tie?

Hands down for me is . The queen of the Catskill tyers.

I Have to go along with this fellow Mary Dette Clark She can Tye fly's for hrs upon Hrs day after day without tiring and she is a fine lady she has been doing this for a very long time and her fly's almost always catch fish especially if you know how to Use them......I salute you Mary you are a wonderful person..

Frank W Zervos

I haven't seen that many great tiers in person, but one absolutely outstanding tier I have seen work is Steve Potter. He inspired me to take up deer hair bass bugs. He ties a deer hair hummingbird pattern that is incredible.

Tom

No doubt, for trout flies, it would be Oliver Edwards. Not only is he a great tier, but he's a terrific teacher, and has a wonderful sense of humor.

Jim Reed, amazing with deer hair, also day5, he doesn't tie anything supper fancy just really out of the box, very innovative. Hope to see Bud Guidry and Dave Gotzmer someday, IMHO two of the best tier this world has seen! Mike Schmidt is also another great tier, haven't had the opportunity to see him tie some of his wet flies yet, but he is a master at them! I've had the pleasure of sitting next to day5 and Mike at a couple shows, makes for a very fun day.

Well, there's 29 thousand 652

tyers on this place

And they can tie more bugs than the number of flies

On any Tennessee roadkill

Yeah, at least thirteen thousand and fifty two

fly tyers on this place

And each and every one ties flies

Twice as better than I will.

This could become a VERY long list, so I will limit it to tiers that I have actually seen in person.

I have seen in person maybe four celibrity tiers. Each were amazing, but my favorite had to be Gary LaFontaine.

I have watched Dave Hise and Caleb Boyle tie in person. Very impressive tyers. On video, Charlie Craven, Leroy Hyatt and Davie McPhail are my favorites.

I put together the Guys, Flies & Pies event just for this purpose! I wanted to tie with great tiers! I've seen some great stuff over the years, but the notable ones have been:

Letumgo & Graham Owen (Filmflies.com Although when we tied he tied the simplest pattern and nothing like he can do).

Hands down for me is . The queen of the Catskill tyers.

I Have to go along with this fellow Mary Dette Clark She can Tye fly's for hrs upon Hrs day after day without tiring and she is a fine lady she has been doing this for a very long time and her fly's almost always catch fish especially if you know how to Use them......I salute you Mary you are a wonderful person..

Frank W Zervos

Add another vote for Mary. I'll also add Poul Jorgensen and Don Bastian to the list.

Charlie Craven. He can tye conventional plus he can think outside the box. Tough for me to vote for anyone that can only tye one style. I am sure there are some kids in Malaysia, that are chained to a desk that can really tye well. ;-)

Charlie Craven. He can tye conventional plus he can think outside the box. Tough for me to vote for anyone that can only tye one style. I am sure there are some kids in Malaysia, that are chained to a desk that can really tye well. ;-)

Dubbin has something of a point here. However, in Thailand at least the situation is somewhat different.

Dr. Gary Borger was the guest speaker at my FF Club's annual conclave last year. His presentation at our

banquet was a talk with slides of the tiers he has seen on visits* to the primary city of fly tying in Thailand.

The young ladies who tie in the air conditioned facilities there would hand over fist be counted among the

best both in quality and in production.

* The purpose of his visits was to teach the employees how to tie some of the flies he had created which

were being picked up for commercialization.

I can't rmemeber many of the names of folks that I have watched at Sowbug roundup im Mt Home Arkansas.

The are many many talented tiers there.

Rick

Sorry, No votes from me but there are several mighty fine tyers on this forum. I am proud to be allowed to watch them perform the craft. .....I do hate that it reminds me how much of a hack that I really am. hehehe :angry:

I can't pick a "best". I've had the pleasure of seeing many folks who are all awesome at the tying they do. Because there is such a variety of flies, I don't feel I can compare one to another. I agree with utyer too, this site has some of the best tiers in the world IMO!