Fly Tying
Andrew

What do 25" + trout eat

Conventional wisdom is correct, BIG fish eat BIG flies - throw 'em a piece of meat.

However, there are those rare times, like early morning Trico spinner falls on quiet water, that big fish will slurp up a mouthful of little bugs. I am a proud member of the 20/20 club and working hard to make the 22/22 mark next year. With the expansion of tiny hooks into the size 32 range....bring it on!

I am a member of the 9 20 30 club! 9x tippet,#30 or smaller fly and a 20 inch or better trout. I wish i would've been using 10x then i would've been one of 6 people that i know of who have accomplished this feat!

Food for thought.

cheers,

shane

This is a finesse situation.

Mossy Creek is small water with sparsely separated, deeper holes and under cut banks/obstacles where monsters reside. You saw him once and you now know where! You caught a break. Don't spoil it.

Now you need to get to your casting position very surrepticiously-- camos; eliminate noise, glare, and non esential gear; move into position with soft steps, slowly; plan your drift -- which will be short; and WAIT for the light to fade....

A big, dark pattern -- say a mobile, jointed Galloupish streamer -- or a big mouse or Wulf dry cast once to tease him out and, when that fails, no more until there is some sign he is actively feeding .... You will know it. One or two more casts. No more. Go home and try again, another day.

And, for god's sake, do not tell anyone.

Nerves of steel and character tell in this game.

And then some other guy with a Royal Coachman will take him at high noon. There is no God.

Rocco

This is a finesse situation.

Mossy Creek is small water with sparsely separated, deeper holes and under cut banks/obstacles where monsters reside. You saw him once and you now know where! You caught a break. Don't spoil it.

Now you need to get to your casting position very surrepticiously-- camos; eliminate noise, glare, and non esential gear; move into position with soft steps, slowly; plan your drift -- which will be short; and WAIT for the light to fade....

A big, dark pattern -- say a mobile, jointed Galloupish streamer -- or a big mouse or Wulf dry cast once to tease him out and, when that fails, no more until there is some sign he is actively feeding .... You will know it. One or two more casts. No more. Go home and try again, another day.

And, for god's sake, do not tell anyone.

Nerves of steel and character tell in this game.

And then some other guy with a Royal Coachman will take him at high noon. There is no God.

Rocco

After work on Friday, I shot over to Mossy Creek. Mossy is an extremely fertile and productive stream in central VA. I fished for about an hour only moving one 10" fish on an egg pattern. I continued with the egg and hooked into another 10" brown. As I was playing this fish to shore, a monster appeared out of the depths and pounced on my hooked trout. This monster was actually the largest trout I have ever seen on Mossy. I was at least 25 inches. When this fish had my fish in its mouth, I could not move my line. I was eventually able to free the caught trout. I was unable, however, to draw the monster into striking.

My question what fly would you use for trout that eat and manhandle (oris that fishhandle) 10" trout?

Andrew

I live in Ontario,Canada and this year I was introduced to a fly called a sex dungeon and I have had great luck with big rainbow trout. It is an articulating fly with lots of motion and covers different levels in the water.