Fly Tying
Wilhelm

Isonychia Emerger Wing

Ok,

So I have been working on an Iso emerger pattern for a while and was trying different things for the wing. Basically the pattern is tied like a hare's ear nymph, but the tail is kip fibers instead and the body is either grey or red.

The question I have is for the wing: I want to use a fluffy material, and tie it in almost so it looks like a parachute post, but not as rigid. I was thinking possum, but does anyone have any suggestions?

Much appreciated, I'm looking forward to ideas. (Pictures are welcome)

thanks for the input. I have seen the CDC stuff... it's okay, I'm not a huge fan of it. I'm looking for almost a gray material that is as soft as squirrel zonker strips that you can almost tie in like a parachute post? Once I find it I will post a picture. Any more input is greatly appreciated.

How about aftershaft feathers. You know- those small fluffy feathers found at the base of gamebird feathers? Most are some shade of grey and they are soft and much denser than CDC.

to take rockworm's reply one step further, chickens do have oil glands located on the top side of the tail. you might have noticed on a whole chicken bought from the grocery store on the top side (same side as the spine) there is a small piece cut out.