Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
HATCHBOMB

Nipigon Brook trout

Anyone fish the northern shore of lake superior for the big brookies? Looking at heading up there for a few days next June to try the Nipigon region that I've heard so much about. Any suggestions?

You had better try it out soon because there has been some talk of putting the "coaster" brook trout on the SARA list (Species At Risk Act - Canadian equivalent of the US endangered species list). The latest issue of the Canadian Fly Fisherman has a report for Northern (ie. western in reality) Ontario and the author asked why the coaster is not already on the list. Anyway, if it makes it on the SARA list there is unlikely to be much fishing for it.

All this said, I have never been to the region and cannot offer much advice. No doubt a muddler minnow would be in order as the Nipigon is its place or origin.

Well, from what I've gathered the coasters show in the fall, and some of the big brookies they refer to are found in the stretches above the various dams (residents). Looks like we're going in late July now instead of June. I just hope that the regs don't change, cuz it sounds like the best fishing section is that of the water below the first dam down to Lake Superior.

Thanks for your comments...

What about any of the other rivers in that area?

Anyone every fish the Jackpine or Cypress rivers? I hear the Nipigon area gets hex in July...

Sign in to follow this