Fly Tying
appalachian angler (tn.)

Sons and Daughters in the Armed Forces

WYKnot

That really hit me! I have two sons 15 and 18. My oldest is in college and my worst concern is him joining a frat and getting good grades. I would be proud if either one of my sons joined the military, but I'm also glad that they are within a short drive to visit. Thanks for the eye opener. it makes me appreciate what I have even more.

Bentflyrod,

Kids can be a handful at times, especially during the teen years. I remember some lean years when my oldest (Andy) was in high school, times when we could hardly speak to each other without arguing about something. Funny thing, now I can't remember what most of our disagreements were about; maybe my problem was that he was turning out to be just like his old man - too stubborn, too independent, and too determined for me to accept.

Nevertheless, we had a "peace zone" on the water, no fussing, fighting, or complaining from waders-on to waders-off. A truce we honored for several years, for us flyfishing was a way of connecting and sharing fully independent of social and political issues, tattoos, earrings, and girlfriends. Now, with him in the Army, specifically in Iraq, I can remember no fonder times than his teen years, on the water, watching him cast and play a fine fish. And when he gets home and he and his wife come visit, I wish to once again watch him cast and play a fine fish.

Thank you.

Steeldrifter, Mike’s tank was moving paralleled to the hardball (paved road) running flank security for a convoy. Several cars (nationality undetermined) recklessly attempted to pass the convoy at a high rate of speed and, ultimately, hit each other. One driver loss control of his vehicle, hit a small berm as it left the road, went airborne, and struck the turret of Mike’s tank from behind. Mike was unbuttoned (exposed) at the time, manning the machine gun on the ring mount and directing traffic flow on the road.

man, that is truly tragic..... i hate to hear the loss of a good individual, ot even any individual really. its hard for me to contemplate the resolve and dedication of those in the military, and i deal/work with them all the time. I can say that many of them before being shipped think its a cakewalk.... well, i wish it was, but i see the reality of it everyday at my work. I was thinking about joining the military when i came out of highschool, to go into one of the academys.... the structure and self determination they instill in the cadets is amazing (though some get cocky throughout the process). The structure is one thing i enjoy (though now i'm sorta part of the structure as a whole), so i guess i got my wish.

steve

A few other fly fishers and tyers we know...

LT Ryan Zimmerman, Afghanistan, back to home station (Alaska) now.

LT Dan Leard, Stryker Brigade, Iraq, Home station: Ft. Lewis, WA

LT J. J. Maida, just finished Ranger school and is heading to Ft. Campbell, KY

LT Aaron Pearsall, finishes Armor Officer School in March 2005, being stationed at Ft. Richardson, AK

SFC Jesse Moore, stationed at Ft. Bragg, NC, present location?

I’ll add more names from time to time. The West Point Flyfishing Club is the home club for about 35-40 active members each year. My "family" has grown considerably over the last 4 years, since coming to West Point and working with cadets in the flyfishing club. I teach tying and my wife bakes cookies; a great combination in the middle of a New York winter. Never underestimate the value of a well-tied fly shared with another angler, or a chocolate-chip cookie for that matter.

Steve,

You ARE part of the structure, every American is, and you are the reason soldiers do what needs to be done. I can never tell you how important it is, or say enough “thank yous”, to everyone that make the gear, sends the letters, mails care packages, says "hello" at the airports, gives a pat on the back, sends fly pins, and truly knows that being an American is a part of the process.

And there are a lot of other folks out there that have made sacrifices in the past, I know many veterans and greatly respect them. I admire anyone that understands service, whether in olive drab or blue denim, means giving more than taking.

Russ

QUOTE (WYKnot @ Oct 27 2004, 10:47 PM)
Flytyers, I would like to share one more soldier’s name, LT Michael Adams. Unfortunately, Mike was killed in Iraq on 16 March 2004 when his tank was hit by a car. He was providing convoy security for a road march back to the final assembly area; after almost a year in Iraq, his unit was relieved in sector and was coming home.

Mike was a cadet at the US Military Academy when I first met him in August 2000, he was the CIC (cadet-in-charge) of the West Point Flyfishing Club and I was one of the ORs (officer representatives - faculty sponsors). Mike was an avid flyfisher when he came to the Academy, having learned the craft from his Dad, and led the club for 2 years until he graduated and got his commission in 2002. He was no stranger at our dinner table and was a friend of the family. Mike was one of the most energetic and genuine people I have ever met, a fine angler, a good sportsman, and pretty handy with the bobbin and vise. I recall a hearty appetite, a firm handshake, and a handsome smile.

Mike Adams has made his last cast and he is resting the big pool now.

Col. Russ,

Thank so much for your moving contribution. I would like to propose some sort of memorial tribute for Lt. Adams as you might deem appropriate. I for one would like to do some thing in his honor but would really like to see something representative of our community here: The Fly Tying Forum. Perhaps we all could tie up our best fly and put them all in a handsome display case and down load the file for all who peruse this site to see. Name the collection in his honor with an appropriate caption. OR, maybe we could hold a contest as voted by our members for a Full dressed salmon fly commissioned with his namesake. Just a few Ideas. Your story with it's forthrightness and eloquence, really got me thinking.

Thank you again Russ for your service to our country, your sons', and all of whom have you been associated with throughout the years.

A.A.

I met an older gentleman on a small creek in Colorado many years ago. He had to have been in his 70s and carried a heavily-loaded vest for a guy his age. I poured him a cup of coffee and we chatted. He was a vet from the Korean War and we swapped Army stories. I joked about his bulging vest and he proceeded to show me at least 15 fly boxes packed with well-crafted flies. When I asked why so many flies, he told me that over the years he had learned to carry twice what he needed and then give half of them away. The recipients of his gift flies were pleased and he had a lighter load to carry home at night. He was a wise man.

Wy, if it would be ok, would love to tie up one of my patriotic pins for the family (would tie one for the mom and the dad). Let me know. Would be my pleasure and my "thanks" to them. Their son paid the ultimate sacrifice. It's the least I could do.

Jerry,

Your patriotic fly pin is beautiful and would be very much appreciate by Don and Barbara Adams, Mike's Parents. If you will please send me PM, then we can work the details for shipping.

Russ

Jerry,

You are talented. May I download and use the banner for one of my lessons at the Academy next week (cell biology, mid-term examinaiton), properly credited, of course. The cadets will get a kick out of it (the banner, not necessarily the examination).

Coming home next week:

LT Robert McCrystal, Ft. Lewis, WA (Iraq)

Got home last month:

MAJ Robert Bozic, Ft. Polk, LA (Iraq)

Iraq twice (great nymph fisherman):

MAJ John Scherrer, Ft. Detrick, MD

in january i'll be in fort polk.... if i happen to run into him, i'll say hi to MAJ Roger Bozic. I do need a fishin partner for the white or little red..... lol.

steve