Fly Tying
appalachian angler (tn.)

Sons and Daughters in the Armed Forces

The gateway to the west? Oh Fort wooo oood. I’ve been there. Congrats to your son! Is he an engineer?

Thank you Poopdeck.  No offense to anyone, but I was surprised how nice that area of St. Louis is, I was there last about 2 decades ago, or more, and I don't remember it being as nice. 

Fort Lost in the Woods, as I heard it referred to locally, it really was a nice place to visit.  He graduated from college this spring with a degree in mathematics. 

My son was 10 years active duty after graduating ROTC as a 2nd Lt. at Xavier University. His first assignment was with the 10th Mountain Division, with which he spent 15 months as a platoon leader in Iraq's Sunni Triangle just before and during the Iraq Surge. Very, very difficult tour for him, and us, which still affects him. For one action during that tour he was awarded the ARMY Commendation Medal, with a V for Valor. From there he went to and graduated from Ranger School, then went on to apply for the Special Forces. He was accepted and made it through their grueling weeding out process, and got his Green Beret. He then deployed to somewhere in Afghanistan as a 10 man team leader for 6 months with the 5th Special Forces Group. After retiring active duty as a Major, he went on to get his MBA at Univ of Chicago. He now lives and works in California, and has been in a Special Forces reserve unit for the last three years. I am sky high on my son, and have no idea where he got his military zeal from (he decided when he was 9 that he wanted to go in the Army). Thank God we have so many other heroes like my son. They all deserve our thanks, and prayers, and I don't think the younger generation understand, or appreciate their efforts. None of those who experience and persevere through what they did come back the same.

Edited by bigcreekdad
wrong number, should have been 9, not 19

18 minutes ago, bigcreekdad said:

I am sky high on my son,

With good reason, it seems.  Congratulations on a great job, and give him my thanks. 

My brother in law served two tours in Afghanistan and Iraq, a really great guy who does well, but sometimes still struggles with after-effects.    

47 minutes ago, bigcreekdad said:

My son was 10 years active duty after graduating ROTC as a 2nd Lt. at Xavier University. His first assignment was with the 10th Mountain Division, with which he spent 15 months as a platoon leader in Iraq's Sunni Triangle just before and during the Iraq Surge. Very, very difficult tour for him, and us, which still affects him. For one action during that tour he was awarded the ARMY Commendation Medal, with a V for Valor. From there he went to and graduated from Ranger School, then went on to apply for the Special Forces. He was accepted and made it through their grueling weeding out process, and got his Green Beret. He then deployed to somewhere in Afghanistan as a 10 man team leader for 6 months with the 5th Special Forces Group. After retiring active duty as a Major, he went on to get his MBA at Univ of Chicago. He now lives and works in California, and has been in a Special Forces reserve unit for the last three years. I am sky high on my son, and have no idea where he got his military zeal from (he decided when he was 19 that he wanted to go in the Army). Thank God we have so many other heroes like my son. They all deserve our thanks, and prayers, and I don't think the younger generation understand, or appreciate their efforts. None of those who experience and persevere through what they did come back the same.

I happen to know where he got it from,………… great parenting. Great job and thanks for the service of your entire family!