Fly Tying
appalachian angler (tn.)

Sons and Daughters in the Armed Forces

I am currently enlisted in the best navy in the world the US NAVY. I have been in for 16 years and am proud to serve as well as proud of the support yall give. i support anyone who wants to join the services especially in the trying times we are in at present time. My son in law joined a little over a year ago and so far he loves it. Good luck to your son maybe I'll see him in the fleet some day.

And god bless all of us wether we are serving have served or just supporting those that do serve.

I don't have any family members in the military, but I do have a couple college buddies that are National Guard Reserve. I lived with them last year. They both went to Iraq a couple years before that, and I think there is a possibility they will be called up again.

I have the utmost respect for all men and women who serve in the armed forces. It takes a truely selfless person to put it all on the line like that, and for all those who have been, currently are, or have loved ones in the armed forces, I would like to take this opportunity to express my endless gratitude. Without heros like them, who knows what our lives would be like today.

I hope all you guys get your loved ones back soon and safe.

MTG

My 19-year old son is now in training for Lucht mobiele Brigade in the Dutch Army. I don't know how to translate it so I'll try and explain. It's an unit which goes out by helicoptres for swift, rather short, assignments. They have to walk alot and carry alot. In his training he also learns close combat, armed and unarmed.

This really is what he wants to do and I have great respect for his determination and his willpower. Being a totally different person I wonder where this interest hase derived from. I'm anti-war etc but I understand that there are circumstances that a country can't act otherwise. I don't want to speak about American foreign policy, because I am not an American and my point off view is totally different from what you Americans have.

I am very thankfull off the allied armies that freed Europe from the Nazis and will never forget. Allthough I can't agree with Bush, I still am very impressed by what your army can achieve and the sacrifices your people is willing to make, in active duty or bij supporting and by paying taxes.

Back to my son, our army no longer has an assignment in Iracq, so he hopes to go to Afghanistan (hunting the bastard Osama) or perhaps to Bosnia if that is still needed. But first things first, he still has 22 weeks off harsh training to go and a very difficult endtask to perform. I hope he makes it because it is what he really wants. The endtask is a week in the fields doing all kins off militairy stuff, carrying an outfit on his back off 110 Lbs and walking a distance off about 110 km.

My respect to everyone in the armed forces.

Sjo

Most of the people in the millitary if they have reasonable intelligence and common sense are not Pro War but realize that its military presence that prevents wars from happening. Without certain military presence and show of force there would be allot more wars and higher casualty ones that do occur Good luck to your son Sjo.

Good luck and Godspeed to your son and his fellow troops. Freedom isn't free, no matter where in the world freedom is enjoyed. Freedom is fought for and on behalf of "De Oppresso Liber."

Let us all hope he finishes training successfully, deploys safely throughout his tour and returns to civilian life unharmed, with the wisdom to recognize the great contribution he has made to world peace. The Dutch military has a proud and fabled history; your son should feel proud to be among one of the finest military forces in the free world.

Out.

Sjo, sounds like you got one motivated soldier there. Air Assault is a blast! I never did it in combat (was with the 1st Armor Division during the 1st gulf war), but was an Air Assault Instructor for a year. Miss riding those helicoptors. Shared the barracks in Wldflecken Germany with some Dutch Marines once as well. They were training up at the ranges for a trip to Bosnia. I know 1st hand the Dutch Military means business. I think the reason you don't hear a lot about Afghanistan these days is because of the good they're doing there. Not enouph controversy to keep the press interested. Hope he has a good tour and he has positive experiences like I did.

Don

There are no more reactions on this topic. I hope that this is not because of my last post. I didn't mean to offend anyone, it was just good for me to see these guys still having fun in difficult situations. It kind of did me good.

Sjo

huh.gif

Nope nothin' wrong with your post sjo, I just watched it (only half way though because it takes a long time to load even on cable modem) and its good to see the guys over there havin' some fun cool.gif

I am sure that I can without question speak for Harris (Armyflyfisherman) and Josh(#10WhiteWolf) in sending a huge thank you to all of you here who support the troops. We are all 3 stationed at Fort Drum in an XVIII Airborne Corps unit. Being the only Non-Divisional Maintenance Company on post keeps us jumping through hoops to keep caught up with the mission.

Without the kind words and attaboys that we get from people like you all, things would be harder than they are to handle on a daily basis. Every day that I read in the news about how someone is protesting what we are doing in Iraq it saddens me.

I do this job, not because of the college money (I didn't get any...this is my 2nd enlistment, I was in from 89 to 95 and came back in Apr 2002) but rather because it is my duty to do so.

Thank you again for all of your heartfelt support. headbang.gif

CLIMB TO GLORY!!!

10th MOUNTAIN DIVISION (LI)

Mat

I just heard my Cousin is packing his bags to head on over there. He is New Jersey National Guard and we were hopeing that his time spent being an MP at one of the Airforce bases would be his only "action" guess not.

To all

My daughter is south of Bagdad and my former boss is in Kuwait. I am currently working wih the Army Recruiting command as a civilian on a medical recruiting team ( as a underpaid government employee, in the office putting together commissioning applications) and retired from the army just over a year ago. I have alot of my extended family all over the world in various functions making our country proud.

John