Fly Tying
Green Hornet

You asked for it!

A couple of quick 'critiques'.

The length of both colors of deer hair on a Clouser should be equal. The colors are not of an even length on any of these. Remember, you are representing the 'basic' colors of both the belly and the back of a baitfish; and they are more or less the same length on most baitfish.

You clearly have crowded the head on your Edson tigers, with perhaps an exception for the last one. There are a couple of primary causes for this: 10 using too large thread; and, 2) tying in materials too close behind the eye. you should always leave at least one hook-eye length of the shank behind the eye clear to form the head. Anything tied in closer to the eye than this will cause crowding, such as you have.

Don't fret; every beginning tier makes the very same mistakes. Trust me! I have been involved with teaching some 200 beginners during the past 12 years. You definitely are off to a good start. ( I have had a couple down through the years who couldn't even tie their shoe laces!)

perchjerker

Thanks for the advise perchjerker.

I have to see if I can get some decent thread. I have been snagging it out of the wifes sewing kit. No big deal cuz she never uses it! I figured plain old thread would do as my flies are considered disposable.

Thanks for the hair length tips and the crowded head stuff I will remember it when I sit down to tie.

I think I am going to like it here!

Greenhornet:

Sewing thread works just fine! It is the 'size' of the thread that is important. JUST DO NOT USE COTTON THREAD!! IT WILL ROT!!!

Check with your local sewing/quilting supply shops, as they typically have a multitude of different threads, and in various sizes. Any of the polyester threads will work, as will silk, if they have it. One brand to look for is"Gu(e)termann".[ NOTE: In German , the U has an umlaut (two dots over it) which signifies that an "E" has been left out. Hence, my adding the "E" in parentheses.]

The following gives the Guetermann equivalents to both UNI and Danville tying threads. Bear in mind that the Danville threads ar nylon, not polyester like the UNI and Guetermann threads:

Guetermann "MARA" 180= UNI 3/0

Guetermann "SEW ALL" = UNI 3/0

Guetermann "SKALA" 200= UNI 6/0= Danville 3/0

Guetermann "TERA" 180= UNI 6/0= Danville 3/0

Guetermann "SKALA" 360= UNI 8/0= Danville 6/0

Guetermann "TERA" 420= UNI 8/0= Danville 6/0

In my area, every JoAnn's Fabrics and Crafts has the Guetermann "SEW ALL"; however, I have not found the others out where I live. If I were to go into the 'city' (Houston), there is a possibility that I could find them. As I use "TERA" 180 and "SKALA" 360 for making furled leaders, I ordered directly from the US distributor.

If interested, I can provide the essential technical info on the UNI and Danville threads needed to see if a 'thread shop' has an equivalent in some other brand. Just PM me.

perchjerker

More great info for me there! Thanks.

Yes I do believe I am using cotton...that will soon change. I see a trip to aquaint myself with the staff at JoAnn's!

if you are having a hard time getting some tying thread I will be more than happy to give you a couple spools with a bobbin.