Fly Tying
20thentrout

U V RESIN

Newbee to this forum. Hi everyone. 2nd time to Oswego 2010 Steelheadin! So awesome. I can't express the great time I had w/ my buddies. SEVEN (7) days of fishin no work,no kids, no wife. Anyways Hooked up on fish w/ flies that I had tied and that was it. I tied a little for trout in state parks but to hook upon steelies and salmon on the river was FANTABOULOUS!!!! Sorry got ahead of myself. But i saw a video on you tube about tying flies w/ UV KNot sense. Can anyone tell me what they think about this product or suggest a better one, or any advice. Thanks in advance.

I have used two of these products: Tuffleye and BugBond. Both cure in seconds under their activating light, blue-light and UV295nM respectively. The main advantage of Tuffleye is the safety of the light source; no protective glasses required. Unfortunately, the cured surface remains tacky and must be wiped with alcohol. And then the cleaned surface is opaque and needs a coat of laquer to become shiny again. On the other hand, the surface of the cured BugBond is dry and shiny. It's only disadvantage is that it is activated by UV light and protective glasses must be used.

I have used two of these products: Tuffleye and BugBond. Both cure in seconds under their activating light, blue-light and UV295nM respectively. The main advantage of Tuffleye is the safety of the light source; no protective glasses required. Unfortunately, the cured surface remains tacky and must be wiped with alcohol. And then the cleaned surface is opaque and needs a coat of laquer to become shiny again. On the other hand, the surface of the cured BugBond is dry and shiny. It's only disadvantage is that it is activated by UV light and protective glasses must be used.

Thanks for the info. It has definetly narrowed down the products that would work for me.....thanks again.

Loon in my personal opinion make the best. I have used CCG, and I find that it is tougher work with and not as clear as loon. Plus loon is cheaper and does not have that tacky feel.

As far as protective glasses go I don't know, never worn any.

Loon in my personal opinion make the best. I have used CCG, and I find that it is tougher work with and not as clear as loon. Plus loon is cheaper and does not have that tacky feel.

I've tied a ton of flies with CCG and have had no issues whatsoever. It comes in tack-free versions and has no issues with yellowing or fracturing when your backcast sends it into hard surfaces such as rocks. When a pressure line in my car sprung a leak last winter, I used CCG to patch the hole, and it held no problem. When the chock that holds my driver's side window to the track that guides it up and down broke over the summer, I used CCG to fix it. In each case the CCG underwent extreme temperature fluctuations and didn't fail. The stuff is bombproof, and will never lose clarity. Great product, great company, great service. And I don't get anything for saying all that.

I've tied a ton of flies with CCG and have had no issues whatsoever. It comes in tack-free versions and has no issues with yellowing or fracturing when your backcast sends it into hard surfaces such as rocks. When a pressure line in my car sprung a leak last winter, I used CCG to patch the hole, and it held no problem. When the chock that holds my driver's side window to the track that guides it up and down broke over the summer, I used CCG to fix it. In each case the CCG underwent extreme temperature fluctuations and didn't fail. The stuff is bombproof, and will never lose clarity. Great product, great company, great service. And I don't get anything for saying all that.

well you convinced me at least

WTH am I going to do with all my duct tape now?!?!

:bugeyes:

I never said that CCG was not strong or its yellows after time.

Before I started using Loon Uv, I would use CCG to patch a seem on my float tube. After about 12 hours on the water I would have to do it again. While camping I meet group of fly fisherman from New York they recommended to try Loon UV Wader Repair. After about 30 + hours with Loon I have yet to reapply.