Fly Tying
KennyD

Need your input on two vises

Looking at the renzetti travler and the peak vise. I really don't have any where close to try these but I have narrowed my choices down to these two. I'm going to be tying a lot of size 1/0 bass flies. Any input one can give me would be great. I have a read a lot of great reviews on both.

Thanks

Ken D

i can't say anything about the traveler, because i have never used one. but i do have a peak vise, even though the standard jaws are only supposed to hold up to a size 2 the biggest fly i have tied on it is a 4/0 salmon fly, and it still has enough room for a 6/0 or 7/0

If you have a fly shop close by that has both vises, I would suggest taking a big hook and tiring on both, and see which one you liked the best.

Well then the zetti is not for you. Great dry fly, small streamer,nymph vise. You will be happier with the peak. But it has disadvantages mostly due to its bulky size and lack of working space. Look in to HMH or Dynaking. I also recommend that you FULLY explore the warranties of the vises.

I tie Bass bugs...a lot of them...big hooks...1/0 up to 6/0...I tie on a Peak Rotary...I would recommend this vice to anyone...The hook doesn't slip, and I out a ton of pressure on them when stacking hair...

Talking about vises on this forum is like talking about cars and trucks.

I like HMH (Ford), Griffen(VW), and the 720 Vise. (Dont Laugh) I however dont like Dynaking(Chev). I have tied on all 4 of this vises and these are my preferences.

Your best bet is to try out every vise (like a car) and decide for YOURSELF.

I've been tying on a Peak for the past 2 years and highly recommend it. 1/0 hooks will be no problem with the standard jaws. I would recommend purchasing the D-Arm ($8.95) as an add-on. :headbang:

What is the difference between a "lifetime warranty against manufacturer defects", "please contact us with in 5 days of manufacturer defect", "a life time warranty on workmanship but only a 2 year warranty on the jaws" ( sorry but that is BS!) and a full lifetime guarantee + great customer service?

I've never tied on a Renzetti and I mostly tie smaller flies, but I've never regretted going with the Peak rotary as my replacement for my starter vise. The standard jaws are actually very versatile but saltwater jaws are available if you need to go big.

I think Wellman is right though, a lot of this just boils down to preference and I love my Peak :wub:

I started off with my regal and the jaws screwed up and really now can't hold anything smaller than a size 2. But in its deffense, it was a first generation and the original owner was a commercial tier for 13 years and he only used that vise. I assume the spring was bound to go after all that tying.

Give Regal a call or email them, Mr Vegas. They replace chipped jaws for 40 bones so pretty sure they could hook you up with a fix. In my opinion it'd be worth it, Regals are a solid solid vise

it is the spring in it that does not allow it to clamp down that is the problem. When I look at it from above i can see that the jaws don't even touch anymore when there is no fly in it. I called regal and they said they don't have replacement parts for the first generation cause it was such a small number sold before they did an upgrade.

Dustin Id put it in a box and on a shelf as a memory of how you started. Plus Come Monday...It will be alright! Maybe Tuesday? You do not need it any more!