Fly Tying
boynabubble

Nymphs: To Bead or Not to Bead?

To Bead or Not to Bead?  

401 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I use beadheads for the most part because the river I fish is always off color. It's rarely dirty, but 95% of the time it's off color. I feel as if it my flies need to stand out a little.

For me I use both beaded and non beaded I find times I want a bead to get it down or the H20 is dirty and sometimes I don't need any weight and the H20 has good visibility so I use both equally. :unsure:

I mostly use beaded nymphs, but I also use them without beads when I'm fishing shallow waters or when I can see that the fish is eating something close to the surface!

Most of my nymphs have beads on them and i generally tie up different color and size beads on the same pattern for the different size hooks. for an example i will put a 1/8th black nickle bead on a size 14, 7/64th brass on a 16, and a 3/32nd nickle on a 18 of the same colored pattern. This way no matter what the depth or flow is i can fish any single pattern at any depth i want to. It is a little excessive but what else am i going to do until the water gets soft again besides tie flies.

For Me, it all depends on how I want the fly to drop. If I want it to nose dive, I'll add a bead to the head. If I want a full sink, get the fly down now drop, I'll start the fly out by wrapping the body in wire, then tying the fly as it needs to be tied. It all depends on how I want it to sink for Me.

I don't use many beads,

I like to weight the body of the nymph.

By putting the weight up front or in back you can make the nymph drop how you want.

And more or less float faster or slower depending on currents.

For me its how fast im fishing the fly early in the year i use mostly beadless so it will drop slower alowing me to fish it slower (i dont like dragging my nymphs) . And i do the reverse later in the year.

To me proportion is 50:50 and what I use depends on conditions.

:headbang: