Fly Tying
FlyFishin'Jam

Mike's NPHT Minnows

Last night sitting around a fire swirling my wine i had an idea to do some non polar minnows, not having any polar fiber but a huge quantity of ep and ep silky fiber i decided to tie some of these up. First time tying this minnow, i am not sure of the exact recipe i just looked for an image and then i knew it was all up-ties. Very very simple streamer pattern to tie and takes hardly any time compared to the sparkly minnows i do.

Druce in another thread had tied some interesting perch imitations and used a marker to colour, so i just went to rapala's website and copied the colours found on their shad rap in the 'hot tiger' colour, then attacked them poorly with the marker, i have seen my friend using on his baitcaster a minnow bait with almost the exact colour very successfully for smallmouth bass. Experimented with a few sizes here but i think you could go from a 6 to a 3/0. All that needs to be done here is give them a trim and sally hansen the heads.

The Ocean blue variation here is supposed to represent any saltwater sardine or pilchard, i think a pacific sardine. The hot tiger pattern is more squarely aimed at warmwater species like bass and pike or even walleye. Both will catch fish in fresh or salt. Next is to find some green and black fibers to do a perch imitation, also perhaps to try a variation where you use dumb bell eyes and the fly will ride hook side up. Nothing groundbreaking here but i think the weighted variation might be a good idea to try, you could even go crazy and add all sorts of hardware like lips and blades. Fish these with a sink tip or full sink line.

post-29540-1292817463_thumb.jpg

post-29540-1292817474_thumb.jpg

Great Looking patterns! Excellent work for a first time and the colors will surely get some looks. With weighting the fly, I would use a little caution when adding dumbell eyes because they have a tendency to reduce the profile of the fibers , maybe experiment with lead wire on the shank, or a brass eye rather than lead and if all else fails you will end up with one hell of a jig anyway ;)

Yeah usually i find adding weight with streamer flies very very effective if i am doing a dubbing brush tie, i can layer the hook with 0.30 lead wire and wrap over that, i make all my deeper flies tied this way with 'no gills' as an identification. Also thinking cone head could be used here or the much talked about fish skulls. With the more traditional ties adding a body of lead wire has some dire consequences when tying. Hence my concentration about depth and patterns.

Here is a pic of my typical weighted minnow, its all a dubbing brush (long fiber, say about 5 inch size for a 2-3 inch minnow). U can make these quite easily, then just add the lead free wire and wrap forwards, trim if needed and add sparkle. But this ends up heavy, 1. from the lead free wire, 2. from the wire used to make the brush, 3. from the hook, and 4. the plastic eyes.

post-29540-1292821761_thumb.jpg

Might wip out some coneheads and see what sort of perchyness i can make. Did i mention i am addicted to minnow patterns?

Great looking ties

I've been tying a few Murdich Minnows

Oh these look excellent too! Must find a recipe :)

Nice looking streamers. Streamers are my favorite as well. I just got the materials to tie a couple new patterns (to me anyways) which I'm interested in.

One is called the Belly Ache Minnow

He water tanks the fly at the end of the vid. and it drops like a rock!

Both the murdich pattern and the bart-o-minnow are on u tube as well.