Fly Tying
foambug

Wet fly alternative

Hey its me foambug im dedicating the spring and summer to wet flys i need to know the average size of wet flys and alternatives for some of the dry flys such as ( elk hair caddis, bwo, pmd) any help would be greatly apprecjated im kinda lost in wets. Wasnt the average size hook 16? Or 14? Thanks in advanced

foam

I would guess most wet fly patterns, like the dries, were originally designed to simulate a specific insect. (Wets most likely represented active nymphs, emergers, drowned duns, or egg-laying females.) Therefore I try to tye my wets to the size(s) of the insects I expect to find when I fish them. Don't be fooled by some of the more gaudy classics; when wet their colours often become subdued and insect-like. So my advice is to research your insects:

-Make a hatch chart for your waters.

-Learn the appearance, size and behaviour of important species.

-Try to match up patterns with species. (The nice thing here is that many species have similar appearance. So that a single pattern in a range of sizes can be used for numerous insects.)

Used to fish lots of wets with my grandfather years ago, mostly we fished for Brook Trout. We used a Dark Hendrickson in the spring in a size 12, it has a Wood Duck Flank wing and a heavy wire hook to get it down below the film. Later in the summer we used an Iron Blue Dun, Light Cahill, a Peacock & Pheasant, and lots of different colors of Partridge Series wets, mostly in a size 14. Near the end of the year we used a Picket Pin. We fished them mostly down and across, but had very good success with an up and across presentation also.

Those are great memories, gets me kind of misty... that's all I can remember at the moment, but given a few days I may be able to dig some more patterns out of my faded memories.

post-30253-1293508897_thumb.jpg