Fly Tying
Bruce Derington

Drakes Wounded Minnows

Tying up some wounded Minnows, nice to be "one" with the hair once again. These are a very effective pattern, that floats primarily, the head up and the tail "sinks down" and when twiched, they really simulate a minnow comming up to surface and sort of doing the death spiral. B)

post-4571-1293731757_thumb.jpg

On a sinking line, they are deadly on browns.....On a floating line, the smallies and gar bash the crap outta 'em. Love this tie, Bruce!

I still have the one I got in the swap. It's been in one fish's mouth - but I don't want to lose it...at least not until I can tie a respectable version of it!

Basic steps are below. In the first photo there is a small bead tied in place, just behind the eye, then tie in hair behind the bead, then advance hair and thread in front of bead, secure again.I use different size ferrules (depending on amount of hair used) to slip over hair and form bullet head. B)

post-4571-1293767357_thumb.jpg

post-4571-1293767392_thumb.jpg

post-4571-1293767465_thumb.jpg

post-4571-1293767695_thumb.jpg

simple but deadly. having a pattern in your box that imitates a injured baitfish is a must for any species. I could imagine that pattern working very well on the west coast for salmon, especially coho in the salt. when you see them ripping thru a ball of herring hitting just about anything that moves, you can imagine.

marc

tied in white with a grizzly tail is a great pattern for white bass, hybrids, and crappies in late spring. The softer white belly hair has a tendency to set lower in the lower, often just under the film, but hang on! I have bottom bumped these guys using a 1/8 oz bullet weight about 8 inches above the fly. Killer technique for smallies hanging in deep holes and deep runs. Always the fly to get down, but it suspends over the bottom. Erratic stripping gives it a great chugging and diving effect. Use caution with your cast...a 1/8 oz sinker to the back of the dome smarts a bit. :wallbash: :wallbash: <_< Tied in green with chartruese hackle, it makes a tremendously effective frog pattern, just splay the tail a bit. I had one that I painted eyes on....big ol' bucketmouth stole my froggie!