Fly Tying
breambuster

Magnifying Visor

Do any of you use a magnifying visor while tying? As I get older, it seems my eyes need a little more help. So I'm thinking about getting one. Only thing is, I have no idea what kind to get, how much magnificiation, or where to look for one. Are they sold at hardware stores, Lowes, Home Depot, Walmart? Or will I have to order it online? Can anyone answer any of these questions for me?

Thanks

Breambuster

I don't use a magnifying visor but haven't liked the magnifiers on arms which I've tried.

But I have used my magnifying glass when tying on rubber legs because my eyes aren't

so great either.

My best guess would be that a magnifying visor is something you would want to buy in

person so you could look through them to see whether they would fit the amount of

magnification you desire.

I finally started using one about a year ago and wouldn't be without it now. I lucked out and found it at the local Goodwill store for $7.50. If something happened to it I wouldn't hesitate to pay full retail for a replacement. It took a couple dozen flies to get use to, but now it is second nature for me.

The problem with flip-focals is that you have to wear a hat.

Just get some cheap reading glasses at the drug store (Target, Wal-Mart included). For most people, 1x of 1.5x helps a lot. If you already wear glasses, then you can get some similar clip ons at craft stores. One brand is mageyes, another is magni-clips.

For the best magnification, you'll just have to try them. Put a pair on and try reading some fine print at about the distance you would normally tie at. Too much magnification will quickly give you a headache.

I tried one of those arm magnifiers with the circular light around it, but it seemed to screw up my depth perception looking thru it. Switched to reading glasses, the most powerful I could find, and that solved the problem.

If your thinking about a magnifier of some sort, try and find someone who has one and try it out. (I took a fly to the drug store to try out reading glasses.)

Geeze guys try catching bigger fish and you will not need to look at them with Binoculars!

One place to look for various magnifiers is at a sewing supply store, such as JoAnn's. Lots of sewers need help seeing their thread work, also. I don't use them (yet) for tying, but do use the visor type for other craft work I do. I use the ones that you can look over or under to see what you are searching for that doesn't need the magnification to see. Makes it more convenient to me than having to flip them up and down to find other things. I agree with the suggestion to try them on till you find the one that is right for you. Not everyone is lucky enough to find a steal at Goodwill

Harbor Freight sells them for about $8 if you have one around....they do the same job as the expensive ones & are adjustable

The most comfortable magnifying system is one that is not worn and is on a movable arm by itself. It should have no frame or rim and it definitely should not have a light around it. In addition it needs to be optically correct from edge to edge and it should be 1.5X to 2.0X magnification and definitely not over 3X magnification for fly tying, rod building or jig making and the like. Most preferably it should have a infinite focus point from the viewing side of the lens. That is the object you are focused on should be in focus to you from a few inches behind the lens to as far back as you can get in the room. Otherwise you trade visual clarity for eye and muscle strain.

If you prefer to wear your magnification then the suggestion above of drugstore reading glasses is the best bet as they are optically correct lenses. The half lens type is even better as you can look over the lenses for normal vision and because the top of the lens has no frame on it your eyes to reflexively refocus each time you look up or down.

You don't necessarily need to spend a lot of money but cheap lenses are worse than none at all and you get free eye strain and muscle strain thrown in.

I have used a magnifying lamp (fluorescent lamp) with a 3 diopter magnifying lens for close to 30 years now with absolutely no problems. Just like binoculars, or a microscope, once you learn how to use it (adjust for your eyes), it's successful use becomes second nature. I, on the other hand, have never found the jewelers type headband magnifier to be comfortable. Quite obviously, there are those who do. Each to his own!

Thus, I recommend that you try both, if convenient, and then decide for yourself.

perchjerker

Harbor Freight sells them for about $8 if you have one around....they do the same job as the expensive ones & are adjustable

I miss harbor freight :(