Fly Tying
ghostdncr

Bug catching gear?

This is currently all the gear I have for gathering specimens in and around the waters I fish, and have a bad tendency to leave the net back at the car. What equipment do you use, if any at all to gather insects stream-side for closer study at home?

Entymology001-1.jpg

here is my kit

entomologykit.jpg

basically a big block of foam to use as a desk. I bring a couple small tupperware containers, and then a couple white plastic dishes to photograph them in. The screwdriver and pliers are for busting apart woody debris to get at the ones not sitting out on top. Then I've got iridectomy scissors, tweasers, a box cutter, a bodkin, a flashlight, and a clear metric ruler.

Its hard to tell from the pic, but I can pour around an inch of water in the front section and have the rear section out of water to keep stuff dry. I just start collecting with the screen and unloading all of the macro-invertebrates into the front tub. When I've got around 50, I'll start sorting out the "doubles" so I've got one of each species. Then I take a photo, measurements (overall length and width, then I'll measure the legs, and other proportions), and notes on how it moves and anything else I think might be important to remember when tying. When I'm collecting adults, I'll have a butterfly net with me as well.

When I'm not lugging this thing around, I always have a small sheet of white foam board, my ruler, my camera, and a small note pad.

For what its worth, I almost never bring bugs home anymore. Colors change too fast once they're out of their native environment, especially with adults.

a few examples of my streamside pics, taken with an inexpensive point and shoot camera. I always try to get pics from above, below, and the side.

sample4a.jpg

sample5a.jpg

sample11c.jpg

sample12b.jpg

sample12c.jpg

sample6.jpg

IMGP1150.jpg

one more thing while I'm thinking about it. Out of all the stuff I record, the measurements were initially the most eye opening. You learn real fast that the classic or recommended fly proportions are often way off from the naturals.

A pair of soft tweezers and a pipette are also handy. If you plan on storing the insects then some 70% ethyl alcohol is also good. Vodka will work in a pinch. A kick net can also be handy and they dont take up much space.

Those are the best vials that you have there as they are less prone to leakage too.

Andrew

I buy my collecting gear from a supplier called BioQuip. I used their equipment in an Aquatic Entomology course in my college days and the professor suggested buying gear directly from them. They have an online catalog: http://www.bioquip.com/html/catalog.htm

I stock up on small vials (2 or 3 dram) and 00 stoppers and ethyl alcohol for preservation. If you want to go all out you can buy heavy duty D frame kick seines but they can be pricey. I bought one of their folding kick seines and it is perfect for the casual collector. It folds into a pouch about 9" long so you can store it in a vest or pack.

one more thing while I'm thinking about it. Out of all the stuff I record, the measurements were initially the most eye opening. You learn real fast that the classic or recommended fly proportions are often way off from the naturals.

Great pictures! I took an entomology class at ISU and we had some real cool bug collecting tools

I like to leave out a minnow trap with bread or meat in it, leave it in the water overnight. Nice way to collect all sorts of water insects that you may not catch just looking around. The only problem is you have to weed through the fish in the trap to find the bugs.

I used to have a seine that attached to the handle of my net. when you wanted to use it you pulled it out of its little pouch and stretched it over the net frame. I have seen them around but forget what they are called

I have a heavy-duty seine I made from dowels and screen and an aquarium net purchased at a pet shop; but I've been eyeing a lot of the gear on the site below for several years, just haven't pulled the plug yet.

http://www.bioquip.com/html/catalog.htm

Check out the Aquatic equipment & supplies section, heck, check out the entire site there's lots of cool stuff.

Update: Sorry for the redundancy, I didn't read boynabubble's post.

I have a heavy-duty seine I made from dowels and screen and an aquarium net purchased at a pet shop; but I've been eyeing a lot of the gear on the site below for several years, just haven't pulled the plug yet.

Check out the Aquatic equipment & supplies section, heck, check out the entire site there's lots of cool stuff.

I just checked them out and I think a C-note for a kick net is a bit much. I could sew one up and coble together something similar for about a third of that cost! If you want a good sien go to ace hardware for some dowels and hardware and your local fabric store for some netting and your set. I'm sure you know someone who has a sewing machine..

I just checked them out and I think a C-note for a kick net is a bit much. I could sew one up and coble together something similar for about a third of that cost! If you want a good sien go to ace hardware for some dowels and hardware and your local fabric store for some netting and your set. I'm sure you know someone who has a sewing machine..

You could also head to the Home Depot & get some fine screen material used in window screens. Staple it to the dowels and you are good to go.

The Bioquip stuff is expensive, but it is also geared to researchers & institutions who use it heavily & regularily. I have several of their sweep nets and they are really well built.

Andrew

Exactly, that's why I haven't pulled the trigger. However, seeing the equipment professionals use lends great ideas for us DIYers. As has AlexC's post!