Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
deeky

Identify This Fly

From the latest issue of Fly Tyer, I was working on the Cricket Nymph. I had the magazine laying open and the next article about beadheads started on the next page. One fly on the next page caught my eye. There is a pic, but no other information. This is my best rendition of the fly. Compared to the pic in the mag, they had a finer hackle, so I don't think my Hungarian Partridge is quite right. Also, I added a copper rib over the back for a little durability in the herl back.

Anyone have an id or any info on the fly?

post-3964-1294112324_thumb.jpg

Thanks.

Deeky

That's it. Thanks for the help guys. Looking around, it looks about like any other pattern - one where the original has gotten lost among the variations. Caught my eye.

Thanks again.

Deeky

Don't use them. They really stink. Got to take these slimy trout off the hook end all the time. Fly gets chewed up and dirty. What a waste.

Troutguy - thanks for the heads up. I'll take the razor to them tonight.

Deeky

Trout guy is right...dont use em....:D

We tie up a slight variation using peakcock herl as the wincase instead of guinea which I find commonly used. My Dad almost religiously fishes the thing during caddis hatches and really can clean up. I always go with a bead head for weight purposes but he swears by no bead and larger sizes 12-14.

Pretty generic fly but it certainly works.

Guinea wing case - interesting. Looking around I only found the peacock herl and turkey for wingcases. Well, when I take the razor to the ones I tied, I can reuse the hook to tie one with guinea and then razor that one too.

Deeky

Glad to see you survived the blizzard Deeky. :D

I agree with the others. This fly is a terrible waste of material. Don't even think about trying it in the hills... it NEVER works out here. :rolleyes:

The Tellico is one of the first flies I ever caught trout on. I hardly ever use it anymore, but it was definitely a fish-catcher. It's funny how flies just sort of go out of fashion with me. I will have to tie and try some this season.

I really like the use of partridge on your version, Deeky.

Glad to see you survived the blizzard Deeky. :D

I agree with the others. This fly is a terrible waste of material. Don't even think about trying it in the hills... it NEVER works out here. :rolleyes:

It was certainly bad in some areas, but as far as Sioux Falls, it was the Great Fizzle of 2010. We were looking forward to being snowed in Friday afternoon and Saturday, but it was done snowing mid-afternoon Friday and we were out and about the whole time. Only 3-4 inches of snow with none of the ice before hand that we were expecting. Oh well, there's still plenty of winter left.

Sounds like you've had some pretty nice temps out there, though?

Deeky