Fly Tying
breambuster

Blending Dubbing

I am working on a pattern for a new fly I'm trying to come up with. It's based on a pattern that uses both foam & dubbing, and I'd like to get the color of the foam and dubbing to match as closely as possible. I have some Caddis Green Dubbing which is just a little darker than the foam that I have. The foam came from Wally World, so it doesn't have a fly tying term to designate the color. It's just "green." I'd like to get some ideas on how to blend different shades or colors of dubbing to get a closer match. Part of the problem is that I've never tried to blend dubbing and I have no idea how to do it. Can you just pull the fibers apart, add a second shade/color and then press it all together again? What colors/shades would you mix with caddis green to make something closer to an insect green or a grass green?

Thanks

BB

I mix dub up with a cheap coffee grinder from Wallymart.

though if you want a lighter color of green you can start out with a few shades lighter then you want, then slowly darken it up to your liken.

A word of caution use small punches of dub, since it adds up quickly.

Though you can mix dub with your fingers, I think a coffee grinder does a way nicer job.

Cheers and happy blending!

Hi Breambuster;

The easyest method I've found is to use a small coffee grinder. The material works best in a coffee grinder when the length of the materail is 1/2 inch or less and you don't put a lot of material in at one time.

What type of material were you planning on using to mix/blend with your existing dubbing? Craft stores are loaded with all types and colors of yarns for experimenting, some even have wool roving that basically looks like long fibered dubbing already. I've mixed both acrylic and wool yarns to make dubbing blends and made an antron and squirrel dubbing for red fox squirrel nymphs. all have turned out quite well.

Are you trying to make your existing dubbing slightly darker or lighter? If so, you could probably add a little bit of white or black yarn and get what you want.

Wayneb

Thanks, Guys!

OK, so I get a coffee grinder from Wally World. When I put the stuff in it, do I just put it in dry or do I put some water in it? I think I read somewhere about using water. How do you guys do it? I'm trying to go a shade lighter than what I have. The Caddis Green that I have is called Waspi Superfine Dry Fly Dubbing. If I mix some rabbit dubbing with that, will it soak up too much water and sink the fly? Remember, now, that this fly also has some foam on it as well, along with deer body hair.

Thanks

BB

With a coffee grinder, you want to use DRY dubbing fiber. Its not meant to grind wet products (coffee beans, and other dry stuff.)

If you want to mix wet dubbing use a kitchen blender, and not the one from your kitchen. These can be found often in yard sales. The dry mix should be wet down to see how it blends color wise with your foam. The foam shouldn't change too much when it is wet, but it wouldn't hurt to check. Most fur dubbing will darken when wet, so add jus a little rabbit and see what it looks like wet then add more if necessary.

I don't think you will have a problem with rabbit dubbing sinkiing this pattern.

if you can show me a pic of the green foam you have I bet I can make a dubbing recipe for you to make at home

Vegas becareful trying to match the color off of a picture posted on the web. There are so many variables that will cause the color to be slightly different even on your screen from my screen. It would be better to ask him to send you a small sample of the foam so you have a real life sample to look at.

really all I need it to see the color cause most likely I have the green foam already so I can make a blend

OK Mr Vegas Here is a picture of both the foam and the dubbing that I have. In both cases, the actual colors may be just a touch darker than in the photograph. The picture was taken without flash, because with flash, they were WAY too light. I guess you could say that the picture was over-exposed. Anyway, I'm thinking about just adding some white or cream-colored dubbing to what I already have to make it a little lighter. I've been to Wally World, and picked up a coffee grinder.

Thanks.

BB

post-747-1294347728_thumb.jpg

I make a lot of my own dubbing from yarn and natural furs. Like the others I use a coffee grinder. then to blend them I put the material into a baby food jar and water. Shake and pour into a coffee filter and let it dry. Works great.

Kevin

This link is what got me interested in doing my own dubbing. I keep putting it off for some reason, though it's time to take the plunge as I got a bunch of pelts from a trapper buddy of mine. Gonna have to grab a coffee grinder and mark it "not for kitchen" lol.

OK Mr Vegas Here is a picture of both the foam and the dubbing that I have. In both cases, the actual colors may be just a touch darker than in the photograph. The picture was taken without flash, because with flash, they were WAY too light. I guess you could say that the picture was over-exposed. Anyway, I'm thinking about just adding some white or cream-colored dubbing to what I already have to make it a little lighter. I've been to Wally World, and picked up a coffee grinder.

Thanks.

BB

post-747-1294347728_thumb.jpg

[/quote}

I'm gonna play with iwhen i get hom this weekend but im sure I can match it. If you don't have the materials to match it I will send you a bag