Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Druce

night fishing

So i started reading this book, death taxes and leaky waders to fight the frost off my fingertips and one of the stories in the book is all about night fishing for bass, and ever since i read that i cant stop thinking about night fishing, and boy can i think of some awsome places within a 15 minute walk of my front door! iv only really jigged at night with spinning gear for walleye... what kind of flies should i be tossing at night? noise/size? plus im a six weight kinda guy. This is for those nights that are in july and mid june... not january with 12 inches of ice, just so you know... :P

Druce

Gear your box with what is available at your local haunts. I fish a lot of shallow creeks and farm ponds that have frogs, snakes, and juvie bluegills. For night fishing, I stick to dark colors...black on black, purple and black, blue on black. My fav is a solid black 1/0 balsa popper with black bucktail. Bass slayer in my waters. If I'm stripping baitfish patterns in the shallows, especially on gravel or sand bars; docks, pilings, and other structure, I toss an all black bucktail or Bendback. The bendback will let you fish heavy cover pretty effectively. Be sure and thoroughly check out the link Evan put you on....good info in that thread.

Hello, Long time lurker, joined a year ago-- and I think this is my first post.... (I'm a real contributor, huh? :D )

Anyhow, I fish a lot for LM at night. One of my favorite patterns is a blending of a black wooly with a black gurgler...

Tie a wooly like normal, cut a strip of craft foam and put it over the back-- be sure to leave a big lip to really *pop* on retrieve.

My theory being the gurgler part of the fly makes a lot of noise to get the fish's attention, and the wooly part has a lot of movement with the hackle and marabou once the fish is curious. Rubber legs are optional... Never really fished this during the dayight, don't know how it would perform then.... But at night-- HOLD ON!

Can post pics if necessary.

//Addendum to my other post//

Before you venture out at night, make sure you are very familiar with the water you are fishing... Patterns/ gear/ etc. are all good considerations for night, but safety ought to be your first priority.

I know it is probably tiresome and 'preachy' of me, but, seriously-- know you surroundings, know the water, use ALL of your senses, etc. Something as simple as a badly twisted ankle, alone at (or in) the water, at midnight, with no-one around can really make for a bad situation....

Also, be aware that there are many critters that come out at night that you don't want to tangle with.

i have a dedicated night box, its 3"x2" with only leaches. a few glow in the darks, olive, black, brown and thats it.

I love nightfishing for bass!!!!

:headbang:

Ditto on the dark colors....particularly if you are fishing topwater.....they make a much better silhouette.....I also wear a pair of clear safety glasses......

Mike

i love it! cast out, count 10 sec. start pulsing retrieve with 1 second inter volts and hold on. That strike can happen in the first second or the last 3" from shore.

So i started reading this book, death taxes and leaky waders to fight the frost off my fingertips and one of the stories in the book is all about night fishing for bass, and ever since i read that i cant stop thinking about night fishing, and boy can i think of some awsome places within a 15 minute walk of my front door! iv only really jigged at night with spinning gear for walleye... what kind of flies should i be tossing at night? noise/size? plus im a six weight kinda guy. This is for those nights that are in july and mid june... not january with 12 inches of ice, just so you know... :P

Druce

Try by the Bronson bridge I've caught a lot of smallies and a couple of Muskies easy walking also up by Carlton U ! Down by the bank street bridge too! Use sink tip in park deeper water yellow buggar some good walleye! You are in a great area Ottawa! There is also some great brown trout fishing in the Ottawa river too!

Now you just got to wait for the ice to leave ;)

Blessings,

Jeremy

I have not tried any night Bass fishing. I might have to after reading this. I get the dark color thing. I got a lot of tying supplies donated to me a while back and noticed several packages of the glow in the dark krystal flash in the mess of stuff I got. Are they a gimmick kind of thing or is this something that might work well at night for Bass?