Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  

Classic Saltwater Flies

I want to start a series of 30 classic saltwater flies that I have copied and tied from various sources. I will add one more to the series to make 31.. that 31st fly will be the Bob Popovics Surf Candy. Thes flies are my opinion, but based on research and I originally did not include the surf Candy simply because it was so recent..but it is clear to me that it is a "new" classic so it will be included. Two sources of reference ,if you are inclinded , is to see Three important books on Saltwater flies and flyfishing... they are: Saltwater Flyfishing, 1950, by Joe Brooks: Salt Water Flies, 1972, by Kenneth Bay, and Finally,Streamer Fly Tying and Fishing, 1950, by Joe Bates,Jr.... These books track the evolution of todays salt Water flies and explains their evolution from the original fresh water streamer. Other new "Classics" will be flies by Rich Murphy, Dick Brown. Finally, and though my forgetfullness I failed to include Bill Catherwood....My mistake ,and will include one of his as he really worked some original Patterns with spinning Deer hair . It is difficult to look to the future since new materials play such a big roll in the development of new flies and those that will be "classics".... but this list will follow the new mareials, but more importantly..the pattern itself. I see Popovics with epoxy work, and Murphy with Mylar tubing... as materials...but the surf candy and other creations by Bob certainly go beyond just material... so these flies will be trickled in as the week progresses to give the forum a "foundation" to start with.

Sorry to bring up an old chain, but I think his work on this is something we need to re-visit every once and a while. Or at least , I do.

Classic salt water flies ... I don't know what that is. And since I don't fish salt water, I likely never will ... unless you start posting pictures of YOUR ties !!!

Go for it !!!

Since no one replied to "Striblue's" original posting ... nor did he actually follow up ... I figure Darrell can revive the thread and make it his own.

Striblue originally started a series with 30 Classic Saltwater Flies which he later said finally became 35.
The following are a list of those I found. Most pictures were no longer available.

#6 - Lefty's Deceiver (Lefty Kreh)
#7 - Rhode Seducer (Homer Rhode)
#12- Loving Bass Fly (Tom Loving)
#13- Bonbright Tarpon Fly (Howard Bonbright)
http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/oldflies/part257.php
#14- Frankee-Belle Bonefish Fly (Frankee Albright and Belle Mathews)
#15- Al's Sand Eel (Al Brewster)
#18- Nasty (Crazy) Charlie (Bob Nauheim or Charlie Smith)
#19- Apte Tarpon Fly (Stu Apte)

#21- Chatham Black Phantom (Russ Chatham)
#22- Agent Orange (Winston Moore)
#23- Sands Bonefish Fly (Hagen Sands)
#24- Silver Outcast (Ralph Daugherty)
#28- Jannsen Striper Fly (Hal Jannsen)
#31- Popovics Surf Candy (Bob Popovics)
#32- Catherwood Giant Killer (Bill Catherwood)
#33- Bay Tern (Bob Nauheim)

See Link: John Morin (aka striblue) and Joe Branham have signed a contract with Wild River Publishing to co-author a book on Classic Saltwater Flies.
https://about-flyfishing.com/fly-tying/classic-saltwater-flies/

For those not aware... most of the patterns listed were quite old when I first started tying orders for fly shops in 1979.... and of course if you do a bit of research many of our current patterns derive from these or other... much older patterns...