Fly Tying
Green Hornet

Salt water flies for this weekend

Nothing fancy here at all. These patterns and colors have been working real well for me in the Indian River Lagoon. They have worked on a lot of slot size speckled trout, Ladyfish, Jacks and some small bluefish. I love this time of year.

100_1379.jpg

100_1382.jpg

nice flies. I really like the idea of tying them back on the hook shank, especially if there are macks or blues around, it really helps reduce line cuts.

I was down in the Indian River Lagoon a few weeks ago and did pretty well on the trout. The water was real cold (below 60) but they didn't seem to mind too much. The only thing I don't like about this time of year is that the snook can go dormant.

nice flies. I really like the idea of tying them back on the hook shank, especially if there are macks or blues around, it really helps reduce line cuts.

I was down in the Indian River Lagoon a few weeks ago and did pretty well on the trout. The water was real cold (below 60) but they didn't seem to mind too much. The only thing I don't like about this time of year is that the snook can go dormant.

Thanks. It is cold here again so I hope it doesn't slow down too much. The last cold snap really shut things down. The water has been real clear and you could see the fish but they just layed around. I leaned the trick about using long shanked hooks awhile back. A friend wanted to go fishing for Spanish Macks and I got some wire leader, that was a pain. The extra shank lets me get most of the toothy ones at least near the Gheenoe! If you can fish near a bridge piling or concrete seawall the snook seem to liven up in thesee areas when it gets cool. The mass of the concrete keeps the surrounding water a bit warmer. Good luck!

I've been tying some tube flies for stripped bass and blue fish, have you ever tried them? You can make the fly as long or short as you would like.

I've been tying some tube flies for stripped bass and blue fish, have you ever tried them? You can make the fly as long or short as you would like.

Funny you should ask. I was just looking at an attachment for my vise to do that. I have seen some pretty neat tube flies recently and think that is going to be my next step.

By the way the blue one on top was very good to me I scored 3 nice slot size trout in the Indian River Lagoon and even went 2 for 3 on some small landlocked snook! I will be making a few more of these in the future.