Fly Tying
Sign in to follow this  
Kirk Dietrich

Vignette or Not

Do you like adding vignetting to images or not? I know it is a pretty general question with factors but I did that to get ideas on what factors you use in deciding this. I've seen some images with a nice subtle vignetting and others where it makes me feel like I'm looking through a pinhole.

Kirk

I don't use them either. If they are used I agree with you, you have to be very subtle. It is like knowing how much material to tie on for a tail take half of what you think you need and cut it in half again and you still probably have too much. LOL

i prefer to look at the raw image and get rid of it before i go jpeg

Are you talking about the natural vignetting that shows in the corners of images with some lenses? Odd how people want to remove that yet add their own in post processing. I'm torn, see the images below.

It is like knowing how much material to tie on for a tail take half of what you think you need and cut it in half again and you still probably have too much. LOL

That's a good one. I don't normally use a vignette but felt like trying it on this style fly shot, not sure if I took enough material out. Most people that see the two, prefer the one with the vignette.

Kirk

Flies tied by Stu Thompson, photographed by Kirk

4-1-BabyOliveCombined-1.jpg

4-1-BabyOliveCombined-3.jpg

I like both pics however I would have removed a bit more of the vignette in the second one. It IMHO is still too present. I think if your going to use it, it has to be so subtle that you don't really notice it is there just that you know you like how it pulls the eye to the detail of the pic. Like a girl learning to use make up, their mom (if the mom knows better) will tell them the point of make up is to look like you have no make up on at all.

Bryan, actually I added the vignette; good advice too. I tried to go subtle but what I thought was subtle on my laptop is not as subtle on the desktop monitor.

Thanks,

Kirk

And that is why pro photographers spend a mint on things called a spyder to calibrate all there monitors so everything they look at looks the same. LOL If we were all made of money the things we could do.

Kirk the second photo (the one you added the vignette) makes your 'subjects' stand out more, very nice. I don't use it much but feel vignetting (and selective color, black & white, etc) can be used to enhance photographs for the better in certain situations. It's very subjective :)

I usually won't but that being said..there are times where it is appropriate in wanting it to stand out.

Kirk

What is the technique on having the flies like that or maybe a link to as how it is done. I missed the boat on that one. Looks like they are floating.

I usually won't but that being said..there are times where it is appropriate in wanting it to stand out.

Kirk

What is the technique on having the flies like that or maybe a link to as how it is done. I missed the boat on that one. Looks like they are floating.

Horse, the fly is being held approximately an inch and a half from the background by a inch and half long Bugle Bead. A bugle bead is a hollow glass bead like a mini straw or piece of spaghetti with a long hole in it. You take a piece of mono, double it over and put it in the bead with a loop coming out of one end and the two tag ends coming out of the other end. Put the fly in the loop and pull the tag ends tight to draw the fly up against the bugle bead. Then, jam a toothpick in the end with the tag ends and add a drop of CA to make sure it holds and push the toothpick through the background up to the bead.

Then, position your camera so that the bead is hidden behind the fly and your lighting is not casting a shadow from the bead across your background.

I may shoot some more of Stu's flies tonight and I'll do some pics of the post. I actually learned/read about that bugle bead post idea years ago for using to mount flies in a shadow box to make them look like they are floating in the box. With the shadow box, I'll put one bead to the hook eye and one to the hook bend to keep it stationary.

Bryan, last year, I told my print shop about my lap top and how the image looked different from when they printed it out. They had me bring my laptop in and they callibrated it for me but I still had a problem with the image looking lighter on the screen than when printed or viewed on another monitor, drives me crazy cause the laptop is ten times faster than my desktop so I keep using the laptop.

Houndog, Flytire, thanks for the comments.

Stippled, crazy isn't it, drives me batty.

Kirk

Vignette like everything else in the photo world has it's place for different subjects, time and place. I myself like it at times as long as its not over done. I like variety :)