Fly Tying
FlyFishin'Jam

2 Garfish, a slightly woolhead redfish streamer, and a shrimp

Garfish, Saurie, Half Beak, Beak, Needlefish...You know what they are :) Used to have a ball catching them on bread flies and little nymphs, this time i thought i would tie up some ocean garfish as i know spanish mackerel eat them up! Before anyone says 'this will foul', i have to say you can use a looped piece of mono to prevent this issue from occurring, or even for my next models i will extend some 20lb fluoro way back to the tail and actually tie in a tail, those ones will be for fishing. Recipe to come if anyone is interested as it actually calls for 'super hair'. They can also be coloured in the beak with some olive markers (which i need).

post-29540-1294966446_thumb.jpg

Next up was a test as a woolheaded type critter done with a dubbing brush, just a test fly to work on further, you may notice some red colour in it, thats no marker, thats my blood (good gills i guess). Suspected encounter would be with redfish, leadfree wire is used close to the head and i think it will have a wonderful action!

post-29540-1294966474_thumb.jpg

And lastly one of my little size 6 shrimps...I posted the whole recipe in the warmwater section somewhere, excellent little fly i must say!

post-29540-1294966494_thumb.jpg

The foto's probably don't do them justice as lighting in this place is weak and very artifical, but those garfish really come to life in natural light, these are the critters i am speaking of...the beaky, i think i will call these flies 'Mr.Beaky' :)

post-29540-1294966529_thumb.jpg

OK back to the bench...

great looking flies, they would probably work well off-shore

Down here we call those ballyhoo or half-beaks. What we call needlefish have a full beak (top and bottom). It's funny how fishing terminology differs so much by region

Good looking flies Jam!

It's funny how fishing terminology differs so much by region

AGN, good point. Makes me want to see a picture of what Jam is calling a redfish.

Jam, you got a picture of your redfish?

Kirk

hahaha yeah it is funny, i have had to adapt with the common names of various species i have seen around the globe. Back home Jacks are called Trevally, the full beaks with the teeth are long toms. Think you guys call a spanish mack a kingfish? Kingfish is something very different back there, related to the Amberjack - a powerful fish. Thank god the usual suspects have a global name, e.g bonefish, tarpon, i dunno i would call a redfish a chadswaller if it was up to me. But haha similar fish, yep reds are a Mulloway species. Red snapper is something very different, i think we call them jacks. Bream is a saltwater fish, oh the list just goes on an on...But yes redfish is a redfish unless its a nannygai.

*edit* oh the_scotsman - excellent tip there! That certainly would help out a bit.

slightly better pic of my ballyhoo...

post-29540-1294974996_thumb.jpg

I'd still like to see a picture of what your your damn yankee azz calls a redfish; no this coonazz don't have a scientific name for it and don't ask for one either.

Kirk

I'd still like to see a picture of what your your damn yankee azz calls a redfish; no this coonazz don't have a scientific name for it and don't ask for one either.

Kirk

LOL! Yeeee haww!

Okay sorry i was using silly little size two hooks, thats no redfish stuff! We goin' to disney world Yeeeaaahhhh! Here is a redfish...

post-29540-1294987490_thumb.jpg

There are a few others we call red fish from red emperor to snappers. The redfish must be related to this...It's another type of drum, which grows to over 100lb? Don't quote me on that tho, but they LOVE shrimps! Some guys clean up on the fly gear with them. Ye old Mulloway! It's a drum, but not red so we don't call it a redfish :P either Mulloway, Soapy's because of the flavour or Jewfish...Not to be confused with a Dhufish.

post-29540-1294987662_thumb.jpg

I was speaking of 'real redfish tho' one thing i have NEVER caught yet!

post-29540-1294987744_thumb.jpg

post-29540-1294987758_thumb.jpg

yes these flies are for...

post-29540-1294987818_thumb.jpg

That sort of redfish :P

Funny how u guys call a Tailor a Bluefish LOL its not even Blue! I am pretty sure we call Bluefish a Tailor because it makes pretty quick work of your flies much like my Tailor does to my pants!

Reduced 67%

Attached Image

450 x 334 (14.52K)

That sort of redfish tongue.gif

There is hope for you afterall!

While thin is in, you may want to fashion some larger profile baitfish for the redfish. The redfish here on the Louisiana Gulf Coast feast on mullet and killifish (cockahoe minnows). They both have a fat head and thick body. While we do have sardines and glass minnows that reds feed on, in the shallow sight casting depth water, the mullet and cockahoe are predominant.

Kirk

There is hope for you afterall!

While thin is in, you may want to fashion some larger profile baitfish for the redfish. The redfish here on the Louisiana Gulf Coast feast on mullet and killifish (cockahoe minnows). They both have a fat head and thick body. While we do have sardines and glass minnows that reds feed on, in the shallow sight casting depth water, the mullet and cockahoe are predominant.

Kirk

Hooray there is hope for me! One day i might actually go redfishin' too :) First winter i am stuck in frozen Toronto for a while *sigh*

Sweet tips on the local forage species!

Oh shit, to avoid more confusion i am actually an Aussie! I was so confused before, but hopefully everyone can make sense of this now! Been living up here for 6 years now. Fat ass minnows coming!

Fly rod redfish 36lbs, crab fly, Nov 2010

Holy Crap! How many days did it take you to land that thing? Great fish

Oh wow that is a huge redfish! Hahaha i see what kirk means now! :blink:

That is a heckova Drum!

That Needlefish fly should do the job for the Macks. Take it offshore a bit and I am pretty sure it would slay some Dolphin and a Sailfish or two. Nice job!